N282RV

Well Known Member
I dont know who the controller was on the runway Sunday afternoon when all us exhibitors left but he was AWESOME. Extreemly into his job, a smile ear to ear and really made it a pleasure being part of the "show" of aircraft departing. Not to say the other controllers were not good, they were great as usual. But this guy even without being on the radio just emitted an energy that was greatly appreciated.
Way to go guys!
I posted this here to share and heck he might be an RV guy.

He was very professional, efficent, and direct. I liked how he double stacked the aircraft for departure. If it was not for those F-16's taking up 3 mins due to wake turbulance we could have really moved some aircraft.

Yep!

Nothing like a formation take-off with a Cessna 172 leading the way, a Tri-Pacer #2, and my RV-7 behind the 172!

The controller on rwy 18 instructed the 172 to roll... Then the Tri-Pacer... ... ... ... Then my RV-7!:D

I still had to throttle waaaaay back to avoid overtaking them!

Great show - had a blast! And the controllers did a great job keeping us safe! Looking forward to flying in again next year.

How did he know??

Departing 18R on Monday morning probably wasn't as exciting as Sunday, but we did taxi past a B-17 warming up for take-off. Not something you do everyday! The controller's last words to me were: "730 Whiskey Lima cleared for take-off 18R with that LS-1 corvette engine... I was so intent on getting on the runway and getting airborne so as not to delay anyone, I didn't respond. Who was he and how did he know.....

It just capped off a great week, our first to Oshkosh.

You bet they are, my thanks to the tower guys

My goal to reach Osh turned into a week of "issues and whatevers". It came down to making the last day, Sunday. At least I could say hi to a few and see something for a few hours. Then the fog rolled in and I could not get airborne until 11:30 eastern time. As I crossed Lake Michigan on a perfect flight, and turned south toward south loop around Fondulac, I tuned in to hear the field was closed and the holding pattern was in effect. I have flown in 6 times now, never a hold...lucky I guess but Sunday morning? Not the busiest time....oh well, after a week of polishing and prepping and losing the keys to the hanger masterlock (bolt cutters are great) and a few more issues that make you think maybe I should skip it this year....I heard the field is open as I approached RIPON.
I was assigned 27 and kept it inside the gravel pit following a cherokee and as I turned final, a six was departing slowing and I was decending quickly. First time I have called the tower in six trips to say " Guys, RV on final about to catch RV on departure...any thought?" They replied land on the Green dot, he'll be gone...and he barely was gone....but they were correct....
So I am here! Made it! One day, beats no days! Ice Cream cone here I come! A few hand shakes here I come, another successful landing at the big one.
Taxied off the right side and back east to wait to cross over 27 approach end and off to RV land. Had to wait for the Beautiful Doll (the p51 version) to pull out for takeoff and then I was cleared to taxi across.
On my way along the taxiway to the end of 18, right where they park all the modern military fighter jets, l feel a wicked shake and think what the ****....Brakes on, throttle up, perfect...not the engine. Brakes released and shaking resumes and it if apparent I have a flat right tire.
Off to the grass and shut it all down. Get out and yep, flat tire and damaged right wheel pant from concrete drag.
Help arrived right away and 2 hours later, after a visit to the repair shop with my wheel, to patch the tube, return and reassemble, I taxied into position and shut down straight east of Vans out by the taxi way of 18R. I had finally arrived at 1:50 pm central time....10 minutes before the airshow began.:mad:
My hats off to Cy and the others in the repair facility and out along the taxiway. 4 guys under my right wing lifing with their backs so we could block the axle and pull the tire, in 90 degree heat and humidity while fighter roared past so close that you had to put your fingers in your ear.....those guys were great.
Ice cream here I come.
I saw no one I knew, ran through the buildings and spent some cash:D
Missed the airshow, and sat for a burger as they took the speaker poles down and I watched you all leave.
Said hi and bye to the vans guys as they were sitting on their crates and loaded up.
Delivered a bell fork of my Dad's creation to a customer and then packed up.
Now for the Tower guys part of the story....
While taxiing out at 630pm central time, one of the only ones left.....I called the tower to ask if they could have someone walk along side as I taxied and see if my tire was holding air ok. Yes was the reply and the guy on the runway temp podium came over...followed out in front of me and then gave me the thumbs up!
Cleared to go and takeoff roll underway. Three little bounces on the takeoff roll which is unusual and the last one gave me a heavy vibration as I lifted off....it felt like the tire went flat or the wheel pant gave out....not good from a feeling standpoint....
I quickly thought of landing but did not. I continued and after condisering my options, 15 miles out from the field I called the tower back.
I told them my situation and thought that I may have lost the tire again and asked them to call my home field on a land line and ask the guys to wait past 8pm for my arrival.
They had a few other planes wait and informed me they had reached my home field and wished me well.
Talk about flying low and slow...a few passes along my home runway as the guys watched with binoculars and we all decided it looked good. 50 feet at 62-65 knots in a slight slip position so they could see the right gear....wow do these planes fly good slow.
Brought it in on the left main and prayed for the best. It was solid as soon as it touched and a non event.
My thanks to the tower for assisting me. They were first class and quick to assist.
I should have stayed home. Missed saying hello to many of you and I hope to make it earlier next year.
It really makes you think about what to do if you have one wheel gone....I think I landed on my left main for quite a while but really am not sure. It may be something I practice...
Nice Sunday at Osh!
Pics are here,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11229977@N08/sets/72157624524673021/
Doug

Wow, Doug, sounds like you had a rather eventful SloshKosh. Sorry to hear of your turbulence. However, GREAT looking RV you have there! Stunning.

Your name was mentioned a lot during the week, as people discussed tailwheel options. You were not forgotten.

Glad you made it home safely. Get up there earlier next year, will you? :D

Confusion on 18R as they transition

Our departure was after 6 pm on Sunday and a little confused. I caught a cart guy and asked the procedure at that point. He said to fire up where I was (on the taxiway leading out of AeroShell Square) and follow the marshall. A minute later, he returned and said he marshalls and tower controllers had left and to contract ground. I listen to the ATIS frequency and it says to NOT contact ground. Hmmmm.

So, I listened to ground for a minute and decided to contact them. All seemed pretty normal for a minute until the DA-20 I was told to follow suddenly darted out on the runway for departure instead of turning left on the parallel taxiway! (Even more frightening about the situation is that another plane was just told to position and hold at the end of the runway to the south.) Ground is yelling at the DA pilot but he was gone. When ground recovered their wits, they told me to continue to the taxi, turning left on the parallel. Then, as I'm starting the turn, they change my directions and tell me to contact tower for immediate departure on 18R, mid-field. I comply and realize after departure that I never did a run-up. Thankfully, everything worked out well and Matt manned the radios and transponder for me. A BIG help.

So, I guess not surprisingly, the transition time from controllers next to the runway to semi-normal tower operations can be a bit rough

Houston IAH controller

Bill

I heard that guy you are talking about and he said he was from Houston IAH. He asked an RV on approach to hit the green dot and welcome to Oshkosh, where you from..... the guy said Conroe and he replied he was from IAH Houston. He also knew somebody at Conroe that was his old boss. He may be aware of your plane and recognized it.