doctornigel

I was riveting a skin to a rib, the bucking bar was tilted and resting against the rib's flange, and now I can see a dent/crease where to bar left an indentation that shows through to the skin. Is this cosmetic and can be corrected when I paint, or should I replace the whole skin? :( Thanks

General rule is to make an outtie and innie, then fill. No big deal. You'll have a lot more boogers by the time the airplane is done.

I have a few boogers on my naked -7A and I have to point them out to people. It's really about the big picture.

try this...

run by the offending ding as fast as you can and see if you see it! really though, "beauty marks" are as much a part of building as anything. i know where every one of them is on my project. paint and filler will go a long way, and, remember, it's easy to see an imperfection in a mirrored surface!

cj
www.perfectlygoodairplane.net

tungsten bucking bar

Go out and immediately buy an expensive tungsten bucking bar and it will never happen again. Nah - but its good justification to spend a ridiculous amount of money of a cool hunk of metal that really is a great bucking bar.

My dad and I are building together, and whenever it happens, there's always that moment of frustration, followed by the other person reminding them, when you're cruising along at however-many-thousand feet looking down, you'll never think of that dent.

Jon (and Bill) Reining

RV10builder said:
when you're cruising along at however-many-thousand feet looking down, you'll never think of that dent.

Jon (and Bill) Reining
no, you'll be wondering if all of the thousand inside corners were radiused and smoothed properly, or if at this very moment a huge crack is propagating towards certain airframe failure!!! :eek: ....all because you didn't use the right primer......... :D

Unfortunately I did it with my tungsten bucking bar, now I know I'll be even more likely with the stock ones!

It's kinda like seeing that first imperfection in the new girlfriend, probably just more obvious because of the beauty of the rest of my aluminum mistress! :D