RV7

Sponsor
I just received the 7 SB wing kit, and while inventorying the parts I noticed a slight dent in the long pushrod. It really isn't noticeble, but you can feel it with your fingers. I wanted to get an opinion from you guys as to whether it could become a problem over time or should I just not worry about it and move on.

Thanks in advance.

PICT0130.JPG

PICT0131.JPG

Dent

Probably is not a problem-----BUT, I would call Van's and tell them and ask for a new one. Dents under a compression load, although relatively light on an RV, are usually a no-no.

My two cents, it's what makes YOU comfortable at 3,000 ft. that counts!!!!

mannanj said:
Probably is not a problem-----BUT, I would call Van's and tell them and ask for a new one. Dents under a compression load, although relatively light on an RV, are usually a no-no.

My two cents, it's what makes YOU comfortable at 3,000 ft. that counts!!!!

I agree. That wouldn't make me feel comfortable.

If you were concerned enough to ask the question replace it. I had a dented aileron pushrod and it was a very reasonable charge to get a new one from Van's. Came packed in PVC tubing. Go ahead and get a new one, you will sleep better.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, wings and tail mounted, canopy next.

left overs

Is your dent in one end or the middle? You may be able to trim around it and save the hassle. I have several pieces of tube left over, one is 2-3 feet. Regards, John.

I had a pretty good scratch on my elevator push rod tube when I got it and I tried to blend it out and didnt like the results of a "thin" section there and I called vans and they replaced it at cost as my inspection window had long since past. I would just get another one as you will be much more happy in the long run and its not like your going to fly it tomorrow so just figure out a few other things you need and make the call to replace it. It will come in and you will never have to think about it again, and youll have some spare tubing for some other wiget.

Update

I received the 7 wing kit last Thursday and completed the inventory last night, so I called Van's this afternoon and talked with Gus. Since the dent is about 30" from the end, he said it would not be a problem for them to send a 6' piece "at no charge" to replace the damaged section. Thanks Van's for standing behind your product.