rv72004

Well Known Member
So some %$#%^ %$&^& managed to put a dent/scrape in the belly skin .About 4" long and 1/8" deep. I need some advice on how to get it out Or most of it if possible. I dont want to cause more damage.
And I thought this only happened to other people.

We used the "Pops a dent" as-seen-on-tv thing ... worked better than I ever would have hoped. Our dent was on the leading edge of the elevator.

Assuming you can get at it from both sides: Get a piece of lead...the elevator weight will do fine...and hold it against the skin while tapping from the other side. (The lead is soft enough so that you don't flatten the aluminum when tapping on it from the other side. It's already deformed, but don't make it worse.) You could use a flush rivet set and a small hammer for this.
You should be able to get it pretty close to flat using this method, at least close enough that it won't be noticeable from the inside and it can be easily be repaired with filler on the outside when it comes time to paint.

Another idea would be to call your local paintless dent remover guy. They fix this stuff all day long and you can not tell there was ever a problem. Lots of car parts are aluminum now, such as the hood of a new F150. Ask me how I know....my truck was out in the hail storm while I was in the garage with the plane!!!!! They fixed it perfect with nary a paint scratch. I think they will come to you to do the repars, too.

Shinking Metal Sheet.

In order to assess the best solution you need to establish whether the aluminium skin has been stretched. I bent the forward tang on the upper skin over the baggage compartment and it formed a crease. That meant the metal had been stretched. I had a panel beat (Automotive) take it out. He spent 2 hours slowly and gently tapping in such a manner that he shrank the metal back to the original size. It cost $100 but better than spending the next 5 years looking at it.

If yours has a crease or significant doming it will be slightly streched and to getting back to where it should be the sheet will need to be shrunk. You should consider getting a panel beater to look at it.

Pete.

I have had pretty good success using a big spoon and pressure. Pick a really big spoon, stainless steel or plastic, and work on the inside of the dent. DON'T start on the high spot! Slide the spoon around the outside of the dent using the pressure of your thumb. It really helps if you can see the other side. Just keep working slowly and toward the high spot of the dent. I tried this the first time when my 70 pound Lab put a paw print in my rudder skin. Don't ask why it was on the livingroom carpet. The rudder was done except for closing the trailing edge. I can't even find it now. If the metal isn't streched, this seems to work, although your mileage may vary. A guy who makes his living repairing Cessna sheetmetal showed me this one.

Bob Kelly, 90854 painting

And yes, we still have the dog

The "use a spoon theory" is almost exactly the way the paintless dent repair guys do it. For years I had heard all the myths about using dry ice and other ways to remove the dents....then, a good buddy of mine got into the business and his entire arsenal of tools is just a bunch of long tools with different shapes (all similar to spoons). He says to always use VERY good lighting to avoid shadows, and to SLOWLY work out the indentation a little bit at a time. Amazing stuff, indeed!