1:1 Scale

Well Known Member
I came across this dent AFTER I had cut them to length (naturally). Had I noticed it before, I could have cut it off. It's about 5" from the end, and MAYBE 1/16" deep. Obviously a big enough dent will surely weaken a tube under compression. Do you think replacement is neccessary, or more of a "feel good" precaution? I'll send the pic to Van's, but thought I'd get some feedback here while I waited for them to reply.
DSCF3236.jpg

You are building a $75k+ airplane... I'd just replace it now before you do the work. It'd probably be just fine, but why go through the work of finishing up a sub-standard part?

Like many, I have replaced parts simply for cosmetic reasons. This one really has safety of flight issues though. I once talked to Ken at Van's about my vertical stabilizer spar that I had scratched rather deeply. He said that there are two reasons for replacing a part. One is if it really is compromised and two is if it is going to bug you every time you think about it. I think this probably falls in the second category so IMHO replace it for peace of mind.

Structurally it is probably fine, but replace it anyway otherwise it will bug the snot out of you when your in some good turbulence and it's all you can think about.

schu

Last edited:
Push a ball bearing thru, just big enough to enter the tube. Use a broomstick as a plunger. It will virtually remove the whole dent.
Or as others said replace.

I heard back from Scott at Van's yesterday, and the consensus is that it would probably be OK, but they'll cover the cost for a new tube. Sounds good to me! It also gives me another excuse to drive over the mountains and pick up some other stuff:)

Yet another confirmation that we've all chosen the best planes to build!

do it

replace it, do it.

@ the top of your first loop you have other things to do

my 2 cent

:)

ps: I've just ordered the push pull tube due to the 'probably' short cut - as per plan (I don't like to have only 1/2 thread inside)