Mugsy

I just checked on the price of new Denso W27EMR-C spark plugs, commonly used with the Lightspeed Ignition System and they were $8 a piece! I bought a bunch of these about 3 years ago for about $2 a piece! Does anyone know whats going on with these spark plug prices? Can you recommend a good equivalent replacement at a cheaper price?

Thanks,

Bruce Raymond (Mugsy)

But they're Iridiums :)

You can get regular BR8ES and those should be right around $2 a piece..

My Denso's were shot after 120 hrs.

The iridium's (think platinum) should last multiples of this. I do not have any direct experience, but others have had great success with these plugs and Lightspeed.

David

NGK BR8ES

I've been using NGK BR8ES for at least 150 hrs.
Works good, last long time :D

Get the Denso Iridium IW27 from Ebay. Saw a seller with sets of 8 for $46 + $5.75 shipping. Bought a set myself last year and now have over 100 hours on them. They still look great. I have dual Lightspeed II. The original Denso W24* that Klaus supplied were eroded pretty far after 100 hours.

The Iridiums seem to run "better"... can't really quantify that, but the engine seems smoother with them, and idles better. After I wore out the first set of the W24's, I tried using AC plugs... R41X, I think they were. Took them out after about 5 hours because the engine ran so poorly. This is the first engine (whether airplane, car, motorcycle), I've ever had that was so sensitive to spark plug differences.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, 304 hours

Spark Plug feedback

Thanks for all the feedback. I spoke with Lightspeed about this recently and they said that Denso has no explanation for the price increase. Speculation is that the W27EMR-C plug is not a high production item and they don't like to produce it. I've had good luck with the W27EMR-Cs for over 500hrs. I normally change them at each annual. The electrode tips show some ware but could be regapped and used for another 75 hours or so if desired. Lightspeed suggested the Denso W27ESR-U as a replacement.

Mugsy