N674P

Well Known Member
I understand deleting parts from a kit is no problem, and you get full credit for Van's price of the parts. Since that would be way more cost effective than trying to sell the parts later, I need advice on tailwheel options.
Is a Bell or Homebuilders Special a better tailwheel option? I understand it sits a little taller than Van's - how much difference in weight? What all would I need to order? Tailwheel assembly and linkage? What exactly would I delete from the fuse kit? Any other "must have" changes I should consider before picking up the fuse?
I pick up the kit July 19th, and want to get changes to the order in as soon as possible.

Thank you all in advance - you're a great pool of knowledge that I have used and appreciated...

John,

Order the Bell TW fork. See this thread for details.

Only delete the fork from the kit but get everything else, including the wheel. You are far enough out that ordering the Bell TW fork now will not impact your build.

In addition, if you are going to go with a Catto prop, you might wish to order it sometime soon. It can take between six months and a year to get the thing. Mine sat on my self for a year before it was needed but at least I didn't have to wait for it.

Good luck and I'm happy to hear about another -9 builder.

Or delete the entire Van's tailwheel and order one from Aviation Products.

From what I understand, the FWF kit is the only subkit for which you can delete parts for full value. Everything else seems to be refunded at 60-80%. (It does vary depending on the part you're trying to leave out in my experience.)

Good info - Thanks!
My goof on the deleted items getting credited full value. I heard about it re: FWF kit, and somehow "assumed" it applied to all kits. Seems I've done that sort of thing with kit instructions...

So how about the weight? Any real world comparisons between Van's setup and the alternatives? Any little weight change with an arm that long has got to make a big difference in CG.

I just got my kit and DID delete the tail wheel, ordered the spring and internal mount by itself. The PROBLEM is that it now will now come as seperate pieces, meaning the spring and mount, witch means you now will have to drill your own holes in the spring and internal mount and spring and tailwheel. It isn't a big deal to do this if you want, but you will not save enough to warrant doing this in my opinion. Larry

tailwheel bias

I can't detail an entire Vans installation but have two tailwheel predjudices. 1. I like big as in Scott 3200/3400 (4 inch X 2n3/4 wide rim). 2. Control as in incremental steering Vs full swivel or springy. It's nicer to be inconvenienced by wide turns, than to groundloop and not have to worry any more.