tkatc

Well Known Member
What goes into a C/S prop overhaul and are there any guarantees after the work is performed?

Off the top of my head:

Blade shanks are rolled.
basic blade dimensions checked
Pitch change fork/pitch change blocks checked for wear.
Replace blade bearings/races as necessary if races are brinelled.
Replace blade root roller bearings and guide bushings
Hub zyglo'ed and alodined
Blades dressed
Blades refinished
AD's
New o-rings and teflons
assembly
track checked
static balance
hi/lo pitch stops set

Last edited:
"Overhaul" is generally defined as: disassemble, clean, inspect, replace parts as necessary to meet serviceable limits, reassemble and test.

Is there a typical warranty implied?

Depends on the policy of the shop, but generally if it is "yellow tagged" or otherwise certified as serviceable, that condition is valid for as long as it takes the ink to dry. After it leaves the control of the mechanic, all bets are off.

Remember that there is a difference between running a business (customer relations) and the legal requirement for maintenance/inspection. Strictly speaking, it is possible to have a component failure immediately after overhaul. I'm not aware of any FAA requirement to guarantee a warranty period.

Last edited:
I guess what i am getting at is, my prop spits grease, after the overhaul, if it spits grease again, will the shop take care of me?

Choose very carefully

Tony, really do your homework on this one! I had an FAA certified prop shop in Florida overhaul my big, 110" Hartzell three blade on my Air Tractor. The first thing was..."These blades can't be yellow-tagged because they're too thin!" What? Yep, blades wear down and mine were a few thousandths too thin...scrap. Three new blades...discounted from $12,000 to $10,000...whoopeee, what a savings.

The airplane shook so badly after the A@P installed the prop, that it ruined the gearbox by the end of the season. My bad for not taking it off sooner....another $66,000 rebuild:eek:

All prop shops are definitely not equal, so check around your area with other A@P's and ask around...your best bet.

Best,