JDBoston

Well Known Member
I am at the stage where I am fitting my wingtips for the RV-14, and am trying to defer most larger purchases until when I actually need them in the spirit of waiting to see if prices either come down, or technology changes, etc.

I notice many builders purchase their lighting up front when they are building the wings, and then it sits in those wings for years depending on the speed of the rest of their build.

How difficult is it to add the lighting at the end? I suppose many do it early on so that they don't have to deal with more cutting, fitting or perhaps they don't want to remove the tips. Is there a reason for me to spend an extra $1200 now (AeroLed nav plus I would order the tail strobe as well)?

I think the landing lights are easier and I will wait for those.

Thanks.

Lighting

I am at the stage where I am fitting my wingtips for the RV-14, and am trying to defer most larger purchases until when I actually need them in the spirit of waiting to see if prices either come down, or technology changes, etc.

I notice many builders purchase their lighting up front when they are building the wings, and then it sits in those wings for years depending on the speed of the rest of their build.

How difficult is it to add the lighting at the end? I suppose many do it early on so that they don't have to deal with more cutting, fitting or perhaps they don't want to remove the tips. Is there a reason for me to spend an extra $1200 now (AeroLed nav plus I would order the tail strobe as well)?

I think the landing lights are easier and I will wait for those.

Thanks.

I'm waiting on anything I can. Pay as you go plan.
Conduits are installed so it shouldn't be an issue.

The only reason I can think of for buying now would be if you plan on buying lights that have special wiring harnesses. The Whelen bulb kits have their own shielded harnesses that are easier to run early when you have better access to the tail and wings. Most the new LED lights take standard wires and 18 gauge is more than adequate to handle the draw.

No reason not to defer. Note that until you install the Nav/Strobes you will not be able to complete the night VFR aspect of the 40 hour test process. You can of course go back later and do this.

The other aspect is do you really need $1000+ for landing lights or will the $1.50 Halogen bulb work? I have the stock lights in my RV-10 and while not the brightest around they work just fine for me to taxi through the woods back to the hangar.

I do suggest the AeroLed Nav/strobes are worth the money - whenever you get ready to pull that trigger. While you can run the wires in the wing later, you might want to install the SunTail now while things are easier to get to.

Carl

No reason not to defer. Note that until you install the Nav/Strobes you will not be able to complete the night VFR aspect of the 40 hour test process. You can of course go back later and do this.

The other aspect is do you really need $1000+ for landing lights or will the $1.50 Halogen bulb work? I have the stock lights in my RV-10 and while not the brightest around they work just fine for me to taxi through the woods back to the hangar.

I do suggest the AeroLed Nav/strobes are worth the money - whenever you get ready to pull that trigger. While you can run the wires in the wing later, you might want to install the SunTail now while things are easier to get to.

Carl

Carl (and others) thanks.

This does confirm for me a lot of what I was thinking. The landing lights are a few hundred. From what I can see if you use LED for everything it comes out to around $1600 ($800 Aeroled nav, $400 single landing light, $400 suntail - all prices aprox) so deferring is what I will do with the exception of the suntail.

tail light

what about the tail do it now because? need to get at both sides of the rudder bottom fairing? and also does the wire run to the side of the vertical stabilizer next to the tail wheel weldment? any other thing about this ?