rfinch

Well Known Member
This thread started in the -9 model-specific forum, but I'm posting here also as it's probably of general interest. This is the first draft of a list of what's needed along with the fuselage kit. Post additions and corrections, I'll insert them until we run out of changes.

What to Get With Fuselage Kit

Decisions on the ordering form
------------------------------

Tailwheel or Nosewheel ($620 extra)
This choice is well-known and discussed, so no more here. I could say "don't be a dinosaur, quit dragging your tail!" but I won't.

Tip-Up or Sliding Canopy
See this comprehensive and efficiently presented comparison at http://www.foua.org/Misc/Tip-up_or_sliding.pdf
Something needs to be selected when ordering, but the final choice can be changed just
before shipment of the fuse kit.

Float Fuel Sending Units or Capacitive (Standard Kit only)
I guess you need something, so why not order Van's? Are there preferred alternate suppliers of fuel senders?

VFR Instrument Panel
Most will want to do their own Panel layout...

Electric Elevator Trim ($80 credit)
Choice is made in Empennage purchase, if you bought electric you get $80 back here (no trim cables needed). Electric trim considered easier to install since you only run two wires instead of the trim
cables.

Step Kit, Left and/or Right
"...installed steps are 22" off the ground. Getting in without the steps would be difficult for most people." Considered nearly a must-install item, even for tailwheels.

Dual Brakes (Pax side) ($185)
Not a lot of money and provides full control from either seat. But something else to leak or fail. A wash.

Static Air Kit
"I bought Van's static Pitot system and ended up installing a mixture of his tubing with another vendor's ports, at $19 is hard to go wrong." Safe Air considered a good alternate choice.

Aileron Trim: Manual ($46), Electric (285), none
Consensus is you want some trim control...
"Electric aileron trim is nice if you want to trim from buttons on your grip, otherwise mechanical is just as good, I think you will want SOME kind of aileron trim though."

Other Items That Are Easier to Install During Fuse Construction
---------------------------------------------------------------

**Electric Facet fuel pump if you're using a carburetor.

**Gascolator doubler and install it when you assemble the firewall.

**Strobe / ELT / Autopilot mount(s)
Install the mounts for these during fuse building.
"...because of the fuselage taper you can't fit two of Van's mounts on one side....the fuselage taper is why there is a left and a right."

**Fuel selector valve/handle
Van's will issue a credit if you don't get their valve.

"Don't buy [Van's], get the Andair valve, much better unit, even if it is costly."

"This IS a good valve but see if you can't get the FS 20x7 (e.g. http://www.andair.co.uk/pdfs/FS20-5&7.pdf). This one has 90 degrees between left and right vs the 180 degrees in the FS 20 type 3. This making switching between left and right much easier and faster. The nice part of these valves is that you have to lift up on the pin to turn them off but not to switch between left and right."

Note: Seems valve type depends on carburetor or fuel injection. Check carefully for your engine!

**Sound proofing and carpeting.
"Much easier to fit while building the fuselage. You can install it later."

**Crotch strap kit
"...you need the crotch strap kit for any of the five point harness systems. They do not come with the belts."

**Fresh Air vent system
"Good idea on the NACA ducts but they can wait. I just read that you can leave that area open and reach up in there to rivet on the top skin. Not a bad idea at all. Forgo those cheap plastic vents and pop for the good metal ones."

**Map box
"The Map box is your call. The positioning of this thing is very limited. I have one I couldn't install and didn't find this out until after I made it."

**Finish kit
"...at least the engine mount. It's so much easier to drill the firewall for it when you're building up the firewall, which is an early task. Once the fuse is assembled positioning, clamping, and drilling is a real pain. Same idea for anything else attached to the firewall: contactors, shunt, battery & box (get this online - way cheaper than Van's), parking brake valve(?), heater valve, etc."

**F-697 channel
"This goes on the bulkhead immediately forward of the panel. It was not included in my fuselage kit, and if you want to build up this part of the airframe, it is useful to have everything."

Odds-n-Ends
-----------

**Extra red (18-22 ga) and blue (14-16 ga) ring terminals and butt splices.

**Extra snap bushings, assorted sizes from 1/4"id thru 5/8"id

**Extra Adele clamps, #3,4,5,6, and 12 for hanging wires off the engine mount and static tube along longeron