lostpilot28

Well Known Member
I'm about 1/2 done with my finishing kit and was hoping for some good advice from other builders. To sum it up, I've got an airplane with no electrical or powerplant. OK, no interior or paint either, but that can definitely wait until later. So, should I do the electrical stuff next so I can close up the forward fuse skin and last remaining wing panels? Or should I start on the engine and leave the avionics for last?

Of course, if money weren't an issue, I'd buy it all right now. :rolleyes:

Can't help but...

Do check into lead times for the remaining components. I have heard of lengthy delivery times for some EFIS systems and props. Not sure about engines.

Do the avionics and wiring first. with the engine hanging on the plane it is a long walk back and forth and you will do a lot of the wiring standing in front of the firewall. Also leave the engine mount and gear off when doing the wiring. I had my fuse sitting on some low sawhorses when doing the panel and wiring. Don

I had the same dilemma. I have chosen to go with an engine that comes with a three year guarantee, when it was pointed out to me that I would be eating into that guarantee the moment I hooked it up I decided that the panel and the electrics would come first and the engine last. The only problem that I have with that decission is just how fast the glass cockpit market is moving so now I can't decide what to buy!! :(

I vote electrical first. I was very happy with the order that I did mine with the fuselage very low to the floor with no engine or mount on the front. You can just stand there in front of the firewall and tinker to your hearts content with everything within perfect reach. The minute you put it up on the gear and/or put the engine on the front, all that changes and you're up on a step stool reaching over from the side.

Engine first! Engines change little over time, avionics will potentially go obsolete before you finish your kit --just look at the glass cockpit section to see all the happenings with avionics. I have everything for my kit EXCEPT the avionics and won't order until winter for a planned next summer completion. There are some lengthy lead times but hopefully the increased competition will resolve this. Having the engine will allow you to complete the cowling and all the exterior fuselage parts, then you can turn your attention to wiring-which is mostly inside the firewall.

Remember, there are a lot of folks out there saying to themselves "if only I had waited" referring to their avionics---not many say that about an engine purchase. They usually say the opposite since it seems engine prices go up ever year; avionics (especially experimental avionics) just go obsolete year to year.

I went with the engine first. Mainly because I wanted a 0 time rebuilt engine. About three months after I started watching, one that meet all of my requirements showed up in the VAF Classified section. Within fifteen minutes of the post it was mine. It is now mounted and I am working on firewall forward systems. Grand Rapids EIS should be delivered next week. I am on the waiting list for one of the new Grand Rapids Sport EFIS, which isn't scheduled to ship until November or December.

If you are going with a used and or rebuilt engine get your money in the checking account and start watching for the "right one" when it comes along jump on it because there are literally thousands of RV builders that are looking for the same "right one". If there is a waiting list for the EFIS you want then get on the waiting list now.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A on its gear with an O-360-A1A hanging on the nose and with wires starting to sprout from a lot of weird places.

Last edited:
If I were doing it again...

I would put the engine on, add a minimal panel and then fly the plane.
Later I would go back and update the panel the way I wanted when I had reached phase II.
This way you could get the latest glass panel stuff and get in the air with less up front expense.

Kent

shiney said:
I had the same dilemma. I have chosen to go with an engine that comes with a three year guarantee, when it was pointed out to me that I would be eating into that guarantee the moment I hooked it up (

Check with the engine vendors--------if they wont start the warranty form the date of airworthiness cert issue, look elsewhere.

We need a "Never Ending Debate" section for this subject! :D

FWIW...I'm going to do panel and electric first for the reasons those above already pointed out...ALL of the avionics stuff that was out six or seven years ago still works fine today! Depends on what you want panel-wise I suppose. ;)

Thanks fellas. Lots of good points for either side of the question. Funny thing is, I just put my airplane on the gear a few weeks ago and man does it sit up high! I haven't torqued the gear bolts down yet, so I could very well take it off the gear to work on electrical. But to be honest, I'm still not sure which I'll do first.

I'll call A.E.R.O. for the ECI engine kit lead time and get an idea of when I could start that. For avionics I'm still up in the air on what panel to build. If I go with Aveo (or possibly MGL) then I may be waiting for a bit. I could always go with my original plan with Dynon and an Avmap GPS and get the stuff pretty quickly. Decisions, decisions.

Stark avionics will buld your trays without radios and charge you only for the trays and wiring. You buy the radios when you are ready. Something to consider. I plan on doing all of the wiring, then the engine, they buy the avionics to slide in to the trays.

Last edited:
w1curtis said:
Engine first! Engines change little over time, avionics will potentially go obsolete before you finish your kit --just look at the glass cockpit section to see all the happenings with avionics.

Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast. While what you say is true, it is also true even if you wait to the last minute. By the time you get the electronics installed and are flying with them, they will also be superceded by enhancements and new products.

I think there are a couple of important questions to ask yourself when making this decision. Will the electronics that I'm considering at the moment serve the flying mission that I want them to? In my case, most of the electronics out there go above and beyond my light IFR mission, and I find myself concerned more with redundancy than the components. Another question to ask is, will the electronics I'm considering at the moment take me well beyond where most aircraft are today, especially those that I am used to flying? If so, they should serve you for a good long time.

The final question, and maybe the most important question (if you buy into the fact that most of the vendors are building some nice equipment), is which of the vendors will survive/fail? I'm of the opinion that there are way too many LSA vendors and way too many EFIS vendors to survive. Some will fall by the wayside as a part of our free enterprise system. Which are they? As experimentalists, we would like to think that more than just the "big guys" would survive, as it appears that it is the "smaller guys" that are the most innovative and spur the others onto better technology/features/prices. Yet to survive and serve their purpose, they need our funding. Quite a catch-22; buy from the small guys because it fits our experimental personalities better and benefits the industry, at the risk that they will not be around in a few years. Most of us do not have the money to risk, especially when talking about major cost items.

I'm a computer consultant and these are the same questions I ask my clients to consider when deciding what and when to purchase new equipment.

I am also at this decision stage and am asking myself the same questions, so I am interested in others' opinions. I've pretty much made the decision to go with electronics first, and am deciding which ones. I think Dynon, AFS, GRT, BM, Chelton, Garmin, OP, etc., etc. all make some good equipment and it is cost and the "fail/survive" question above that will drive my final decision.

Anybody else have another perspective?

macrafic said:
Anybody else have another perspective?

I look at it in virtually the identical way - whatever you choose, by the time you get it delivered, wired, installed, and drug to the airport, there will be something better, so don't ask "do I have the latest?", but rather "do I have what I need?" I go about four years between personal laptop computers, because I buy to my requirements rather that what the latest thing sitting on Fry's shelf can do. Gotta be satisfied at some point - or have VERY deep pockets!

Anyone who has met me knows I am a huge GRT believer, and I looked at their new Hi Rez stuff at OSH - great equipment, and if I was choosing today, I'd put it in...but what I have does everything I need (and more), so I doubt I'll upgrade....

Paul

I just thought of something else relating to going with an engine first. I plan on having a local A&P help me build an ECI engine kit...but if I don't plan on flying until mid-next year would I have to pickle it? How long can the engine sit there after assembly without running?