jump4way

Well Known Member
I could use a bit of help on a buying decision. If all things were equal which would you choose?

O320 160hp with CS prop or 0360 with fixed pitch metal prop?

I'm curious to see what others feel is best in the long haul? If it helps to know my mission, I would use it mostly as a cross country traveler with perhaps some very basic aerobatics.

A bit more info needed.

What airframe???

Is budget a big concern???

Is weight an issue??

This is a buying decision on an already complete aircraft. Both fall within my budget. There are other differences in the aircraft but the deciding factor seems to be the comparison I listed above.

Weight isn't that huge of an issue for me. The airframe is an RV-4.

The 320/CS probably has slightly better take-off and climb performance, and the option of a lower rpm/high MP cruise, for low noise.

The 360/FP will have a faster cruise, if you are willing to run at 2450 rpm or faster. If you want lower rpm, it will probably be no faster than the 320/CS. It should have lower life cycle costs, as the CS prop will eventually need an expensive overhaul (only an issue if you fly a huge amount of hours on this aircraft).

Personally, I would prefer the 320/CS, as I like low rpm cruise. Note that with modern ANR headsets, the noise issue with high rpm cruise on a FP prop may no longer be relevant.

I could use a bit of help on a buying decision. If all things were equal which would you choose?

O320 160hp with CS prop or 0360 with fixed pitch metal prop?

I'm curious to see what others feel is best in the long haul? If it helps to know my mission, I would use it mostly as a cross country traveler with perhaps some very basic aerobatics.

I'd vote for the O-360 with a high-efficiency 3-blade carbon-over-wood prop, my design or a Catto!

I've had both - and I'll take the 360 FP (which is what I had for years) - then I'd upgrade it to a C/S. Nothing wrong with the 320's with C/S at all - they are quite good. But, ultimately a 360 C/S is what I personally like and fly behind now. FYI, a good running FP 360 pitched right will outrun most of the CS guys on the top end. RV's don't suffer from bad climb performance to begin with either.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein