aviationgeek84

Well Known Member
Hello,
I am new to the forums posting-wise, but definitely have been reading everything in sight for a several days. :p I am trying to decide which RV model that I'd like to build.. which I think I have decided on the -9 because I don't necessarily need anything aerobatic.

My next decision (I know I don't need to make it right away, but ... you know how it goes) is tailwheel vs. tricycle gear. I'm a CFII with about a hundred hours of tailwheel time in various airplanes, so it doesn't bother me to fly tailwheel, but I was just checking in to see if anyone had some insight on the characteristics of the RV-9 as a taildragger. I personally like the look of the tailwheel version better, but hey... any RV is better looking than a lot of other airplanes. :D

At any rate... enjoying the stories and photos here. Very inspiring.

- Casey

I'm biaised, the tailwheel versions look nicer, don't have any vices, have less dangling both outside and under the hood and would always be my preferred choice. Less of a step to get into as well.

In the air - no difference, going in and out of unpaved strips - tailwheel every time.

mike newall said:
I'm biaised, the tailwheel versions look nicer, don't have any vices, have less dangling both outside and under the hood and would always be my preferred choice. Less of a step to get into as well.

In the air - no difference, going in and out of unpaved strips - tail wheel every time.

And I still think the nose wheel versions of the 6,7, and 9 look better on the ground. Just more substantial I suppose :D

I'd go for the tailwheel "8" over the nose version, but much prefer aircraft such as Aviat Husky's for rough field work. I just don't believe that taildragging RV's with tight fitting wheel pants to cut drag for gains in speed are any "real" sort of rough field airplanes.

For all those abandoned mining strips etc, throughout Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana; I want no wheelpants and much larger diameter tires than I find on RV's. Just being realistic here. :)

L.Adamson RV6A

Taildragger RVs land very well on some pretty rough fields...not abandonned mining strips, but there is a large gap between perfectly smooth golf course grass strips...which still seem to flip the occaisional nose dragger, and mining strips.

If there is alot of grass field work in your future you should consider a taildragger.

And..in the air there is a speed difference, local reports seem to be close to the 7-8 mph range, which is larger than Van's reports, but that is what people are seeing.