BlackRV7

Well Known Member
Got an opportunity to get a little tailwheel/acro training in a 160hp C/S Decathlon this afternoon. Some of you more experienced tailwheel guys can chime in to help out newbee tailwheel jockeys.

My observations were the slow speed ground handling is very similar to my RV-7. Easing in the power on takeoff required that ever so slight "toe pressure" dancng on the rudder pedals to track down the center line, no large inputs, it felt very much like my 7. Seems a little more subject to side loads in a cross wind than the RV (gotta really be into the wind with the ailerons and on the wind side rudder more than my 7), 80 kts abeam the touchdown point, 70 plus on final (OK, 72, 76, 74) full stall landing a piece of cake, wheel landings a little touchy with the flat fuselage side and 90 degree gusts to 15. All in all, it felt very much like my 7 on the ground and seems to be a good RV tailwheel trainer.

My 7 responds a little quicker to tailwheel inputs as the Decath had springs, mine has an aftermarket direct linkage system.

Thoughts from you more experienced Decathlon veterans.