dwilson

Well Known Member
Building a 9A. Thinking ahead to paint. Considering basic white with added swoosh type decals.
Does anyone know where decals can be bought and or designed and bought?

Thanks,
Duane Wilson

9A Tip up

Another alternative is do a search on "Vinyl Graphics" in Google. There are a lot of airplane, car and boat graphics that can be used.

Roberta

http://www.aerographics.com/
airplane2vf.jpg

Decals for an RV

I am looking for a good source for vinyl graphics. I need n-numbers but also need some simple military insignias made to my specs. The vendors I have seen so far seem to do just letters and numbers or want to do large scale graphic schemes. Any suggestions? N659DB is at the painter now having an "Extreme Makeover - RV Edition"

Vinyl graphics

bsacks05 said:
I am looking for a good source for vinyl graphics. I need n-numbers but also need some simple military insignias made to my specs. The vendors I have seen so far seem to do just letters and numbers or want to do large scale graphic schemes. Any suggestions? N659DB is at the painter now having an "Extreme Makeover - RV Edition"

I might be able to help here. I did my own 9A and am happy with the results. I can do up to 24" width and have been known to work cheap. Gotta pay off the cutter I bought just to do my own plane. Have done a Swift and mixmaster Cessna but have been too busy to really push this as a business. Back in a former life I ran a commercial art agency, so I guess I have a little experience. I would assume you are only going with 3" numbers. I only have my plane painted in one color and used vinyl on the wing & tail tips as well as striping. Can send you a pic. Call me if interested. (812) 392-2860

Bob,

Why don't you just post the picture of your plane here. We're always looking for different ways to do this.

Tracy.

Picture of N908BL

Okay, gonna give it a try. Haven't posted pictures here, so we shall see. BTW, I have the same graphics on the wheelpants and now even on the end of the steps. The writing on the bottom edge of the canopy is in gold and is the easiest part of the whole deal. Sorry I don't have a picture with the canopy closed, but you should get the idea (if it works, anyway.)

Bob
N908BL.JPG

(Edited in here) Hey, it works! I think I will update my website in a few days with some detail stuff so you can get a better idea. Did I have any wrinkles, etc? Yes, a few, but far less trouble than if I'd have had runs in paint. Everything is repairable and even changable if you don't like it. Should have put the spinner on and closed the cowl tight--ignore that, please. BTW, that is a Gamut carbon fiber canopy.

Bob

Last edited:
thallock said:
Bob,

I am amazed that you can get the vinyl to conform to the wingtips.

Thanks,
Tracy.

A lot depends on the vinyl. "Cast" has never been stretched and was some give, especially when heated with a hair dryer. "Calendared" vinyl has been rolled through rollers and doesn't like to conform as well, although I haven't tried that type. It isn't reall easy, but two people can do it. Also, you put it on damp so you can move it a bit. In a day it is REALLY stuck. There is a seam at the very end of the tip, between the top and bottom piece. Don't think you can get around that. I have seen some vinyl on cowls, but I haven't tried that, either. The vinyl on the rudder was 30" wide. My cutter will only handle 24", but that was just a trim job after it was in place. I'm happy with it.

Bob

Bob

The guys who do vinyl graphic wraps can print you out anything you want. They have printers that will print up 4 foot wide material or wider and take any photo and make a killer graphic............heck they can even wrap the entire plane :D Good luck.

why not paint the graphics on?

N267RVsmall.jpg

paint looks better, lasts longer, makes airplanes faster :D

Last edited:
Paint is probably better, but

Most RV's probably will spend much more of their lives inside a hangar than the average Cessna will.

Just like everything else in an airplane, it is a tradeoff.

I wonder what the "average" use of the RV fleet really is.

bsacks05 said:
I am looking for a good source for vinyl graphics. I need n-numbers but also need some simple military insignias made to my specs......... Any suggestions?
I use Aerographics.
http://www.aerographics.com/. Marilyn will make up just about anything you want in the way of placards etc. My plane is always a work in progress, but the graphics are her work. If you squint, you can see the "NO STEP" on the flap. The red is also graphic material in a custom width. Contact her for a free catalog.
img002720wc4.jpg

One Other Option....

I think that using one of the folks here on the forum is probably the best idea, but if you are in a hurry, or want something done local, check out a sign shop. I wanted to have my name on the canopy, and it only cost me about $20 bucks and about two hours (from phone call to pick up) to have them done. I then actually had a slight delay before one of them was installed, because it had to take a short flying trip before it was installed. Well, it wasn't that short....it went around the world....about 190 times.... :D

Here is it's travel picture:

s115e07823nrsl8.jpg

That shot is looking out the Commander's left side window on STS-115. The graphic is just floatin' there. You can see the docked Space Station, and the earth's limb at sunrise off to the right....

Now I can say that at least PART of Valkyrie has made it into orbit!

Sorry for the bragging.... :eek:

Paul

Took a minute for what you were saying to sink in. Dude, THAT IS VERY COOL! Who did you know? Or can you not say?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am in contact with a shop and in the process of having my graphics done. Meanwhile, my plane is prepped and ready for paint which should get started next week. We have had some beautiful weather here and all I can do is look and wish I were in the air. Now that the 40 is flown off, my daughter wants to be up their as well.
Paul, at first I thought that was your panel in the picture until I read the text beneath! My -9 also has some parts which were well travelled before they were installed. I used some scrap aluminum from a C-5 Galaxy to make small clamp and hose brackets in the fuselage and wings.
BTW, love the polished aluminum, Rick.

He knows Paul ... :)

erich weaver said:
Took a minute for what you were saying to sink in. Dude, THAT IS VERY COOL! Who did you know? Or can you not say?
He probably won't say it but, Paul **IS** "Da MAN!" hisself! :)

Look up NASA Flight Director etc ...

James

Vinyl Graphics

There is a company in Floridy called MOODY Aero-Graphics. I used them for my roundals on my Fisher Avenger V. Catalogue claims they have the world,s largest selection of aircraft logos and graphics. Phone # 800-749-2462.
Ron Russ RV9A. Working on baffels and hate it. :mad:

Turbine Aircraft Services, their marketing/signage department is in San Angelo, TX. Talk to Byron Kypfer, 325-486-9113. They specialize in graphics for aircraft, lots of decals, panel graphics, N-numbers, etc. They can handle photo-quality to 52" wide and have done some really cool work engraving backlit displays and panels.

Last edited:
man that nasa sticker pic is really cool!!! i bet the 20 bucks for the sticker was cheap, specially compared to shipping!!!! what does nasa get for delivering stickers using the shuttle? i think ill stick to ups or fedex

IRONFLIGHT

Hey Ironflight, the really big question is when will you do a shuttle mission? Or should keep my mouth shut and not ask!

PainterJohn said:
what does nasa get for delivering stickers using the shuttle?

Oh......pretty much my entire life...that's why I have to carry a Blackberry AND another cell phone! :D

Paul

Military roundels

Hi group,
I found a link in the past to a person on the net here that sells the roundels (stars and bars) for the sides of the fuselage and wings but for the life of me I can't relocate it and didn't turn up anything the way I was searching.
Anybody remember where it is?

GREG JUDY ?

check rv9 finished airplanes link for sacks military painted rv9- they talk about the decals and there's a link

Vinyl Graphics By Greg

Go to http://vinylgraphicsbygreg.com.

I think ACS sells some stars and bars decals in various sizes.

I myself am thinking of a Navy paint scheme on a variation of one of the squardrons that was on the carrier I once served on, CarrierAirWingThree.

N Numbers and Graphics - New Prices

Why pay a lot of money for N Numbers and Graphics? We provide N Numbers with a 10 year warranty with 100% satisfaction or 100% of your money back. We also provide art work for RV aircraft.

Two sets, of 3" for $16.95 and 2 sets of 12" for $49.95. Check out our web site: WWW.OTGVINYL.COM and click on the N Number bubble.

Why spend more than you have too?

Last edited:
Vinyl graphics, n-numbers, decals, etc...

I also can provide vinyl graphics, n-numbers, experimental decals, and all sorts of other goodies including aircraft sihouettes for your hangar wall, RV and other aircraft logo license plates for your vehicles, street signs (Airplane Avenue, or RV parking only, etc, etc). Pretty much anything you can dream up.

I've been an RVer since 1987 and hope to give back some great service to the crowd that has been a huge part of my life. Satisfaction guaranteed!

Vince Frazier
Screaming Eagle Graphics and Accessories, LLC
3965 Caborn Road
Mount Vernon, IN 47620
812-464-1839
http://vincesrocket.com/products.htm for tailwheels

http://vincesrocket.com/graphics.htm for graphics

Decals on RV-7

I am thinking of doing a military paint job on my RV7 and am wondering if anybody knows of a good shop that I can buy the USAF Stars and a nose art decals? Is this the way to go instead of painting them on? Can I clear Coat over the decals and the aluminum so that it does not tarnish.

Thanks,
Nicholas Montei

I just finished painting mine on; the star & stripes, and invasion stripes, along with a checkered flag rudder. Still need to do two more sets on the wings. Watched an old EAA painting video I had for pointers on how to do the stars/stripes.

It's a whole lot of work, considering there is four colors, and hours upon hours of taping, and a couple of days between colors.

It looks real good though!

Thought about USAF, VAF, and decided USA, because I like the way DR's VAF looks on his wing in flight.

L.Adamson -- RV6A
Invasion stripes on a nose dragger... :D

Graphics

My company can provide excellent quality vinyl graphics for any aircraft(paint masks if needed) with a 100% satisfaction warranty. Our prices cannot be beat! If you have an idea or sample, let us know and we can give you a quote for graphics that carry a 10 year warranty.
We will work with you so you are 110% satisfied!​

www.otgvinyl.com

Thanks,
Richard
OTG Vinyl

nmontei said:
I am thinking of doing a military paint job on my RV7 and am wondering if anybody knows of a good shop that I can buy the USAF Stars and a nose art decals? Is this the way to go instead of painting them on? Can I clear Coat over the decals and the aluminum so that it does not tarnish.

Thanks,
Nicholas Montei

If the decals are a very good quality, a clear coat isn't needed.
Richard
OTG Vinyl

VAF / www.VinylGraphicsByGreg.com

nmontei said:

Thanks,
Nicholas Montei

Nicholas,
Do you have a VAF decal yet from Doug Reeves????? If you got one you should have recieved a business card, but if not click on this link...... www.VinylGraphicsByGreg.com
Greg will help you with your project.

Last edited:
Graphics supplier?

Does anyone know who does the graphics for Vans planes? Or does anyone have a recommendation.

Thanks