dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
Just beginning the 10 empennage. Trying to be safe, practical, and not overlie compulsive which I tend to be anyway. On page 6-3, Step 1: it says Deburr the edges of all remaining parts to prevent scratching during fitting. I am at the skeleton assembly portion of the VS. I could ssee where teh Rear Spar Doubler needed attention on its edges and I attended to that with the Scotch Brite Wheel, file, and scotch brite pager. Do I need to go over each edge of every rib, spar, etc that way or just looking for the jagged edges in these machined parts that could cut my finger.

That's what I do. I actually was deburing the bottom skins today , I file first then sand smooth. I run my finger everywhere feeling for missed edges. I do the same for all parts , ribs and all. not saying everyone does the same, just what I do.

I chase all those on the 6 inch scotch wheel. Aside from smoothing and getting rid of the die marks it also helps a bit in keeping the ribs from showing through the skin. Takes 1 or 2 minutes or so for rib.

I recommend that you get a small angle grinder and a some ScotchBrite Roloc discs and mandrel -- the blue ones are good (PN 7515),;I use the 2" size. In addition to the wheel in the grinder, this tool makes quick work on larger pieces or places where the grinder wheel is too big to fit. It also works nicely on the edges of the skins.

I try to hit all the edges of the parts to remove all burrs and bumps, and round sharp corners.

+!

I recommend that you get a small angle grinder and a some ScotchBrite Roloc discs and mandrel -- the blue ones are good (PN 7515),;I use the 2" size. In addition to the wheel in the grinder, this tool makes quick work on larger pieces or places where the grinder wheel is too big to fit. It also works nicely on the edges of the skins.

I try to hit all the edges of the parts to remove all burrs and bumps, and round sharp corners.

Yup. This method worked best for me on the skins and other hard to reach spots. I also use the small sanding drums (and scotchbrite drums) for small inside corners, like ribs, access panel openings, etc. Everything should be properly deburred, including rivet holes. For them, I'd recommend a small debur bit. It chucks up in a small battery operated drill and makes very quick work of deburring holes of various sizes up to 1/4". This is immensely better than using the hand tool with a rosebud, IMHO. Have fun!

Just purchased a Milwaukee 4 1/2 grinder. Now I need to find the scotch brite discs to place on the grinder. Any suggestions where to purchase these and some files? I have a few, but believe they may be cheap and possibly too coarse.