danielhv

Well Known Member
What method are you guys using to deburr the sides of the little tab on the flanges of some of the wing ribs? Its too small to get a deburring wheel in there, too small for a file (atleast any of the 4 I have!), and I'm out of ideas short of sand paper and scotchbrite pads... Thought I'd see if anyone had a more efficient way of accomplishing this task. TIA.

ok... so I tried the little pink stone I had in my dremel kit, but it didn't work too well... kept skipping across the flange leaving little pits as it went. :( But I do have good news... I found some little discs that are paper on one side and a medium grit sand paper on the other! Gave them a shot and I think it turned out well. I did all the main ribs with it, and will go over everything with a scotchbrite pad tomorrow to knock off anything I may have missed as well as smooth out some of the scratches in the aluminum. Thanks for the help guys!

BEFORE:

img_2662.jpg

AFTER:

img_2664.jpg

Of course the camera makes them look worse than they are, but I think a scotchbrite pad will make them look alot better, but its past my bedtime! :(

deburring

What method are you guys using to deburr the sides of the little tab on the flanges of some of the wing ribs? Its too small to get a deburring wheel in there, too small for a file (atleast any of the 4 I have!), and I'm out of ideas short of sand paper and scotchbrite pads... Thought I'd see if anyone had a more efficient way of accomplishing this task. TIA.

For ribs and like the best/easiest is to use this:http://www.acehardware.com/product/...m&pg=4&parentPage=search&searchId=37764940944
chuck it in you drill press and off you go. does inside of lightening holes also.

Think simple

I used one of those little hand held deburring tools and then a quick hit with sandpaper.

I just saw your pictures and I think you are trying too hard. Keep it simple. Knock the wire edge off, smooth a bit with sandpaper and move on. If it is not sharp to your finger or won't rub, you're done with that spot and it is time to quit.

In other words, more than good enough is too much and overdoing some of these things will come back to bite you in the buttocks.

Last edited:
Like Floss

I learned a trick from Brad Oliver (RV7factory). He suggested 400 grit aluminum oxide on cloth (available at woodcrafters). You tear off a twelve inch piece, split it to about 1/4". Clamp the ribs on your bench and then use the abrasive much like dental floss. It gives you a nice, smooth edge.

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon, CA

Who?

I always get a little nervous when I see my name mentioned. :eek:

As the good Dr. Wynn said, here is what I did. More info here. It actually went surpisingly fast, but if I had to do it today I would probably give the dremel thingy that was mentioned a try first.

051111_001.jpg

I use a tongue depressor, and wrap 200grit wet/dry emery cloth around the stick once. This allows getting into those "close-quarters" notches in the wing rib flanges...Then file away. All by hand, but doesn't really take that long.

Dremel again

Time for my favorite tip again ;-)

cut a used (or unused)" 1" cut and polishing wheel into quarters, put them on a screw-on mandrel mounted in a dremel tool, shape it by holding it (the dremel spinning at low speed) to an also spinnig "big" deburring wheel into a preferable conical form. Great for tight corners etc.
Somewhere exists a video of the procedure, but I couldn't find a link to it.

Mario (mentally preparing for wing rib deburring)