aarvig

Well Known Member
I'm working on my 9A and I have a question regarding deburring the wing skin/spar flange/wing rib complex. The instructions say to drill and deburr wing rib to spar attach holes. This does not include the spar flange/rib holes because a skin will be drilled, dimpled and installed on top of the to be countersunk spar and then riveted to the rib. My question is this...if I rivet the ribs to the wing spars now and drill the spar flange holes later per instruction, how do I deburr the holes in the skin, flange and rib? Does it make sense to drill them now and deburr them before assembly, even if the spar hole will eventually be countersunk? What have you guys done?

I see what you're getting at. I really don't see a way to deburr the inside of the spar flange or the rib at these locations after they are drilled to the wing skin, with the exception of the back side of the rib. That being said, I'm not worried about it, and I'm sure once you get to the next project, you won't be either! I suppose if you really wanted to you could slide some sandpaper in between pieces once or twice...

Chris

The idea is not to have burs between two parts when you drill - if you are not able to remove the second part after you have drilled - just make sure you push the twp parts together when you drill (always a good idea anyway ) then you get no burs as your drill is going from one metal surface to the next. Push with your finger and you risk drilling into your finger ... So push with a small piece of wood .. so you drill into the wood once the drill have penetrated the two surfaces ... do that and you only have to debur the last hole - on the visible sides ..