sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
The pre-construction planning continues...

Anyone have any experience or ideas of a proper deburring drum to attach to a drum sander, rather than a disc grinder? I've come to find out my father, big into woodworking, has slipped a new drum sander past mother/the family accountant for Christmas. Needless to say, it'd be nice to use this new toy for those times I don't want to deburr by hand.

Thanks!

It'll work fine for removing material (make sure you're using aluminum oxide), but you're still going to be deburring and polishing my hand.

The process is a bit different for everyone as they each find something that works for them.

For me it's sand close to the line, the draw file to the line, then give the edge a quick hit with maroon scotchbrite to dull it a bit.

Unfortunately sanding alone probably won't save any more work.

Phil

One more tool in the box

I recently inherited a benchtop drum sander and learned the joys of having a few drum sizes. Up until now all my radius' (radiaii?) had been shaped with either a needle file or a 7/32 round used on chain saws because that is what I had and was comfortable.

Now I have drums for 1-1/2", 3/4", 1/2", and 1/4" which mean I can choose a size that fits best and knock down the big stuff. Saved a bit of time on the rudder pedals (each has 6, 1" lightening holes) this weekend. I still hit the scotchbright to polish and remove smaller marks.

Just another tool in the tool box. Enjoy the build!