lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
Hi,

I tried to smooth the edge of my canopy with the 3m scotchbrite drum mounted on the die grinder.

Do you think is a good idea or it's better to use sand paper ?

thanx in advance

Scraper

Hi Luca,

I didn't try the scotchbrite wheel, but I did use a small sanding drum in my die grinder. I thought it turned awfully fast and had a tendency to "melt" the plexi if not teasing the trigger. It also didn't really leave a smooth finish, but perhaps the scotchbrite wheel does? Also, because it is round, it makes it a little harder to get a perfect edge without ripples (because the roundness wants to sand a round "divot" in the edge if you're not careful and constantly moving it along).

What I found best was to carefully knock down any bigger ridges with the sanding drum, and then use the scraper I got from Avery to smooth and round the edges. That left it pretty much done. If you want an amazing finish, wet a strip of 400 grit sandpaper and sand away like a shoeshine boy on the edge and you'll be pretty much able to "see through" the edge. It doesn't take much after the scraper.

Here is Avery's scraper...

http://www.averytools.com/p-410-plexiglass-edge-scraper.aspx

canopy edge

Hi Luca,

I didn't try the scotchbrite wheel, but I did use a small sanding drum in my die grinder. I thought it turned awfully fast and had a tendency to "melt" the plexi if not teasing the trigger. It also didn't really leave a smooth finish, but perhaps the scotchbrite wheel does? Also, because it is round, it makes it a little harder to get a perfect edge without ripples (because the roundness wants to sand a round "divot" in the edge if you're not careful and constantly moving it along).

What I found best was to carefully knock down any bigger ridges with the sanding drum, and then use the scraper I got from Avery to smooth and round the edges. That left it pretty much done. If you want an amazing finish, wet a strip of 400 grit sandpaper and sand away like a shoeshine boy on the edge and you'll be pretty much able to "see through" the edge. It doesn't take much after the scraper.

Here is Avery's scraper...

http://www.averytools.com/p-410-plexiglass-edge-scraper.aspx
Ditto on the Avery Scraper excellent tool-just don't dig it into the sides, keep it perpendicular to the canopy edge. I also used a palm sander 4x4 square pad with 100 grit and 320 grit to get alot of material off at a time. Let the sandpaper do the work, don't be rough and securely hold the canopy with your free hand.
Mike H 9A/8A

has anyone tried a vixen file? It might be too aggressive, but might be worth trying on a piece of scrap!

Yes....

has anyone tried a vixen file? It might be too aggressive, but might be worth trying on a piece of scrap!

...a short piece of vixen file (about 3 to 4 inches long) with a handle RTV'd to one side makes a good edge cutter.

I used one to clean up the edges after a 2 inch grinding wheel with a medium/coarse grit took it down to the correct line.

Just press lightly...

or maybe a microplane or something... lots of possibilities worth experimenting with.

I don't have a canopy yet so I can't try them myself :)

Try the scraper on the first pass. Quick and easy and works well. Then buy something like a cheap 5" electric orbital sander. I got a 5" at HF for $39. Start with something like 180 grit and it will be perfect. Not agressive, no stress, no heat, and it comes out very smooth. You will find a lot of uses for the sander when you go to final fit the fairings.

Bill S
7a finishing