prkaye

Well Known Member
I've been thinking about the priming system as I work on routing the lines. I got to wondering what would happen if a bit of debris got in the primer lines (either through the gascolator, or residual copper bits left in there from cutting/flaring the tube). Would this be guaranteed to cuase serious engine damage? It seeems to be any debris would get carried by the fuel directly into the cylinders, where it would be bound to cause serious damage... is this a common mode of engine damage?

Look at the nozzles

Phil,

Have you looked at the nozzles fittings at the intake ports? If anything did get through to the nozzle, it would for sure plug it. Anything getting through that small of a hole probably wouldn't make a difference.

flush it

I plan on flushing out the fuel system (main & primer) at the engine connections to avoid just this issue. This will be done as part of the fuel flow delivery test. Seems pretty common in FI systems to have injector pluggage, and I have noticed a fair amount of "stuff" can easily get in the lines during construction.

That being said - anything that can get thru the Andair gascolator seems pretty small to begin with!

actually...

... the nozzles. I actually posted a question about this a few days ago, but nobody replied. The "nozzles" that come with Vans kit are very basic... the cone fitting one side (that goes into the flared tube), and the other end is wide open. There is no restrictor, or jet, on the end that goes into the engine. I thought about buying the 4022-1 nozzles to replace these, but i think you have to do a bit of work... solder the copper tube to an AN800 fitting and then use an 805 fitting screwed into the 4022-1.
I was hoping for some feedback from others who have done this, and whether its worth the effort.