tvlawyer

Has anyone out there found themselves weighing the choice of an RV7 vs the RV8? A lot of Decathlon flying has grown me accustomed to sitting on the centerline, particularly for the primary and sportsman acro I expect to do in my RV. But the looks and much larger instrument panel of the 7 also appeal to me. Finally, "she who must be obeyed" would prefer to sit next to me rather than looking at the back of my head for the whole trip.

How did you make the choice?

First

OK, I'll be first.....

She can't massage your shoulders when sitting next to you, so it must be an Eight!

Hwood

tvlawyer said:
Has anyone out there found themselves weighing the choice of an RV7 vs the RV8? A lot of Decathlon flying has grown me accustomed to sitting on the centerline, particularly for the primary and sportsman acro I expect to do in my RV. But the looks and much larger instrument panel of the 7 also appeal to me. Finally, "she who must be obeyed" would prefer to sit next to me rather than looking at the back of my head for the whole trip.

I built a 7, but my next project will be to build an eight. Mostly because I want to build - not because of any great superiority of the eight.

As for SWMBO - my wife was initially more hip on the seven. But now that we've been doing a fair amount of flying, she finds that she just falls asleep as soon as we leave the ground (I must be doing something wrong). Therefore, she says she can sleep in the back quite happily - perhaps with more ability to construct a 'nest.'

kevinh said:
I built a 7, but my next project will be to build an eight. Mostly because I want to build - not because of any great superiority of the eight.

As for SWMBO - my wife was initially more hip on the seven. But now that we've been doing a fair amount of flying, she finds that she just falls asleep as soon as we leave the ground (I must be doing something wrong). Therefore, she says she can sleep in the back quite happily - perhaps with more ability to construct a 'nest.'

Try a little more oxygen... :D

View

The rear seat passenger view in an 8 is unparalleled. Kevin has a beautiful 7, but even he is going to an 8. Try it, you'll like it!

I went -7 for the panel space, the CRM, the dog can go in back and I can put stuff next to me if no one is there!

Those are my 4 reasons.

:D CJ

Hard Knox said:
The rear seat passenger view in an 8 is unparalleled. Kevin has a beautiful 7, but even he is going to an 8. Try it, you'll like it!

My wife disagree's. After riding backseat on motorcycles for years, she wanted a side by side.

But, on the other hand, I wouldn't mind an 8 with right hand stick and left hand throttle, and paint it with invasion strips.

The P-51 Mustang is my wifes favorite aircraft. The 8 done in WWII military markings just might look closer to a P-51 than a 6A ever would! :D

L.Adamson -- RV6A

After owning a Citabria for a few years I went with the -7. While I really like centerline seating, I sometimes found it annoying that I couldn't see my passengers face (w/o a mirror). In addition, I am 6'3" and my passengers always said they couldn't see around me when sitting in back. I realize that the -8 is configured differently, so that may not have been as much of an issue as it was with the Citabria/Decathlon, but I went with the -7 anyway.

As it turns out, we are also expecting our first child in a few months, and with the -7, I can see myself taking the kid flying sooner than I can with the -8.

Whatever you choose, and there is no wrong answer, you will eventually find yourself thinking about the other model. Within a few months of starting my -7 I found myself fantasizing about the -8, and most recently the -10. Resist the urge, and just build on! :D

Do you like your wife?

tvlawyer said:
Has anyone out there found themselves weighing the choice of an RV7 vs the RV8? A lot of Decathlon flying has grown me accustomed to sitting on the centerline, particularly for the primary and sportsman acro I expect to do in my RV. But the looks and much larger instrument panel of the 7 also appeal to me. Finally, "she who must be obeyed" would prefer to sit next to me rather than looking at the back of my head for the whole trip. How did you make the choice?
If you like your wife and looking at her and having a equal view than the RV-7. If you are going to fly solo most of the time than it does not matter, but I concur with comments above, with a RV-4 or RV-8 you might as well be in formation. Of course the RV-7 has obvious advantages in dual instruction, if you ever want to get training, currency or additional ratings. As a CFII I can't give instrument dual in a RV-8. My advice is if you have your heart set on CL seating get a ride for her in a RV-8 backseat and let her decide.

tvlawyer said:

I have a 6, and I found that rolls make me queasy in a way they never did in a tandem plane. I figure it's either advancing age or the fact that I'm not sitting on the centerline that's causing it.

My experiences in RV6/7/8s

Having had an RV6 for about 900 hours, several hours in an RV7 and flying my RV8 for a little over 50 hours, I believe I prefer the RV6/7.
The RV8 is indeed sexier and has that WWII fighter look; however, the RV6 & 7 can also have that look, as evidenced by Doug's "Flash", which is really cool.
I think that the RV6/7 is easier to land, but that could be due to the many more landings I have in them.
The RV8 sight picture, in the 3 point attitude, provides less of a view ahead.
The RV6/7 seem to be lighter in stick forces during some aerobatic maneuvers. I have noticed that the elevator forces are heavier in my RV8, than they were in the RV6. (I'm sure this is due to the tandem seating and no passenger in the back. With weight in the back seat, the forces become lighter, but I fly mostly solo.)
I haven't seen a real difference in the aerobatic capability of the RV6/7 or RV8, for basic aerobatics.
Baggage in the RV6 is available in flight, but not in the RV8. (I think I could carry a little more in the RV8, though.)
The right seat, in the RV6, when solo, is a great place to hold maps, etc., etc.
The RV8 is faster, depending on the power and prop. (In my experience, if you are flying in a group, the fastest planes slow down to stay with the slowest plane, anyway.)
The RV6/7 has more panel space.
The RV6/7 is much better for training or introductory flights, since the back seater in an RV8 has limited controls and can't really see any of the gauges. Also, if you plan to carry a child or youngster with you, I would prefer the side by side seating for that.
I'm sure there are more comparisons I could make, for both, but these are most of them.
Don't get me wrong....I love my RV8; but, if I had it to do over again would I still sell the RV6 in order to build an RV8? Probably not.

She can't massage your shoulders when sitting next to you, so it must be an Eight!

Yeah, but from the back, that is all she can massage. I am, of course, referring to your arm, which does get fatigued.

Hope the spirit of this post keeps it from being deleted!

Hwood said:
OK, I'll be first.....

Hwood

Yeah, but from the back, that is all she can massage. I am, of course, referring to your arm, which does get fatigued.

Hope the spirit of this post keeps it from being deleted!

Mama

Remember....."If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" I've flown both and can't see much difference in handling and ramp appeal doesn't hold much sway for me. A buddy has an 8 with a headrest and I coudn't see diddly out the front, or the instruments from the back.

If the Missus is going to accompany you a lot, be sure to take her flying in both! It'd be a shame to make a $60,000 mistake. Yeah, mine likes to lay her head on my shoulder too....tsk, tsk.

For the time being at least, -8's are still more valuable/hold their value better. If this matters to you.

As for the comfort of the ride, I'd much rather have the added shoulder/arm room of the -8 as compared to a side-by-side. Also, it's a lot easier to prop your head up on a pillow and catch some z's in the backseat of an -8 than the others.

As for visibility out of an -8, the seats are too low if you can't see out the front as well as any Decathlon or Citabria. Back seat -8 vis, same story. You can't see at least some of the panel sides from the back (without a headrest), then you're sitting too low. If having some kind of instrumentation in the back matters, stick a GPS back there.

Landings are different in the -8. The gear legs are stiffer. But it's something very easily and quickly mastered.

But I know, logic doesn't always drive the discussion about this kind of thing.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider; if anything should ever happen to you in flight (God forbid) your passenger has a much better chance of getting it on the ground from the front seat than from the back seat.

I (we) chose an -8

I'm a young guy, been married five years, no kids. My wife was informed long before marriage that I was going to build a plane, she should get over it then. Obviously, she had to approve of the plane before I started building. She had flown with me before in a 172 and 152, so was accustomed to the side-by-side seating, a preferred it. I however always wanted centerline, and she had never experienced it.

We went to Oshkosh in 2002, first time for both of us and one-year annivesary all at the same time. While there, we got the opportunity to sit in a couple of different RV's. Side-by-side first, then the -8A. As soon as she sat down in the 8 she said "Oh yeah, this will be just fine. I can put a pillow right here and you can just wake me up when we get there."

She has no intention of ever getting her PPL, although I've tried on several occassions to persuade her to at least get familiar enough with an instructor to solo. (Mostly so she understands flight mechanics first hand.) She will only be in the plane for CC trips and very rarely for morning joy-riding, never for aerobatics. I estimate 70%+ will be me solo in the plane (or another passenger) and perhaps up to 30% with her in it. She's satisfied with the view and more than satisfied with the comfort.

The other key, I believe, is once you buy the empennage, the decision process is over, and that's the plane you are building. Waste no time or energy considering an alternative. Decide, commit, build, fly. Then, and only then, will I even consider a different plane. Period. Is this how repeat offenders are made? :rolleyes:

About to fly my 7 but still a bit sore it aint a 8. There is one thing about the 7 that does make sense and that is when solo [mostly], the seat next to me is open for all the "stuff" you carry with. Also the space around your head is bigger in that the plexi volume is larger in 7 when solo.

I would go out on a limb to say that if you fly dual a 8 would be more comfortable for both.
O yes one other thing, when you need to use the "little johnny" on a long flight it would be alot nicer if your passenger isnt rubbing shoulders with you.

So bottom line would I go 7 again[unflown] or 8.
I would have to say 8 , purely from a gut feel point of view.

<<O yes one other thing, when you need to use the "little johnny" on a long flight it would be alot nicer if your passenger isnt rubbing shoulders with you.
>>

Who do you think holds the bottle for me?

I am 6'3" and my passengers always said they couldn't see around me when sitting in back.

So i quess being 6'3" is not an issue for legg or head room in a 7 ???

dillonz1 said:
I am 6'3" and my passengers always said they couldn't see around me when sitting in back.

So i quess being 6'3" is not an issue for legg or head room in a 7 ?

Are the 7 and 9 fuselages dimensionally the same, cockpit wise??

No debate

The RV-7 is better than the RV-8, debate over. :D

I AM KIDDING (not really) What ever floats your boat.

I have lots a time in the RV-4 and love it, but any tandam, RV-8 included, takes on a whole new feel with a passenger. I personally don't like the way the RV-8 feels in my limited experience flying one, compared to my RV-4. I prefer the RV-6/RV-7 overall. It's my personal opinion and have no scientific proof about the where & why of RV-8 handling, just my gut feel. I had the feeling of heavier stick in pitch.

My friend built an early RV-8 and had the tail shakes (buffet) bad. Tail Shake - a minor issue occurs at high angle of attack - see archives? It was enough of an issue that an RVator article was written about it years ago; some put strakes (cuffs) on the fuselage near the wing root leading edge to help reduce this. I don't know the status of that since I have not heard much about it recently. People either just got use to it, the cuff solves it (for those who experience it) or it's a minor idiosyncrasy. It does seem to be a RV-8 thing that does not seem to affect the other RV models? However there is a lot to recommend the RV-8. Every design has its pros and cons.

Last edited:
Head room in -7

Mike,
I made a trip to Vans to check out both 7 & 8. If you're 6'3" or better, go with an 8. I'm 6'3", 240 lbs. With a short dude (5' 8") in the -7, I rubbed shoulders, plus I had to sit with my head cocked towards the middle (and yes I was using the thin seat cushions). I'm going for the 8! Just my 2 cents.
Scott

No Tail Shake

gmcjetpilot said:
My friend built an early RV-8 and had the tail shakes (buffet) bad. Tail Shake - a minor issue occurs at high angle of attack - see archives? It was enough of an issue that an RVator article was written about it years ago; some put strakes (cuffs) on the fuselage near the wing root leading edge to help reduce this. I don't know the status of that since I have not heard much about it recently. May people just got use to it, the cuff solves it (for those who experience it) or it's a minor idiosyncrasy. It does seem to be a RV-8 thing that does not seem to affect the other RV models? However there is a lot to recommend the RV-8. Every design has its pros and cons.

Just for the record, I've never had a bit of tail shake in my -8 - full stall series, slips, spins - not a bit. I know that some folks have experienced it, but you might not hear "lots of talk" about it anymore, cause I'm not sure it happens to the majority. Like anything, you will mostly find web reports biased towards the negative, becasue people write about problems, but rarely write about non-problems....

Paul

Twice

Mike,
I've recently had a 6' 3" guy who weighed 240 or so for transition training in my 6A and there was not a headroom/shoulder problem. I'm 6' with fairly wide shoulders and 190#. We didn't have any extra room for sure. He's close to flying his 9A. Another younger guy was closer to 6' 4" and wasn't quite as stocky but still probably around 220....no problem.
Regards,

I just love my 8

I cannot see how you go wrong. Decide and don't look back, they are all awesome.

But you gotta have an 8!!

See ya

Marshall,
The wife and I are supposed to be in Athens around 5:30 PM to meet my son and wife. We'd love to meet you and we're gonna try and depart AHN by 7:30 PM. Look for a red and white 6A, N33PL,
Regards,
Pierre

Great Point

Ironflight said:
Just for the record, I've never had a bit of tail shake in my -8 - full stall series, slips, spins - not a bit. I know that some folks have experienced it, but you might not hear "lots of talk" about it anymore, cause I'm not sure it happens to the majority. Like anything, you will mostly find web reports biased towards the negative, because people write about problems, but rarely write about non-problems.... Paul
Good point and some found the buffet a plus for stall warning, others such as your self did not have the tail shake at all. Randy has a great write up.

http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Flying.htm#RV-8 tail shake

The lower stall speeds with the cuff is dramatic. Makes me wounder what the affect would be on another model, RV-3/4/6/7/9/10? Hummmm experimentation time.

Pierre

I won't make it, but let me know next time you're up

For the thread---Still love the 8. Did left and right rolls this morning, and yup, they are pretty neat with centerline seating.

rv8guy said:
Pierre

I won't make it, but let me know next time you're up

For the thread---Still love the 8. Did left and right rolls this morning, and yup, they are pretty neat with centerline seating.

Marshall you finally rolled that thing!. Way to go!

dillonz1 said:
So i quess being 6'3" is not an issue for legg or head room in a 7 ?

Are the 7 and 9 fuselages dimensionally the same, cockpit wise??
Mike,

To answer you question; yes, they are the same. In fact, the fuselages share a LOT of the same parts.

Yes Kahuna

I am almost comfortable with that now. I still plan to get up with you guys one of these days for some formation.

Did I mention that I really like the 8.

I thought I had it all figured out!

I just love the 8... took a ride with DR in Flash and really liked how his -6 flew, but then I sat in Danny's -8, it just felt so good, and since virtually all of my time is in tandem seated airplanes, I ordered the 8 preview plans.

So tonight I'm driving to Lowe's with one of my little guys and I get to thinking about how great it would be take him flying and share the experience. I realize now it will be easier in the -7.

I mentioned this to the family CFO to which she replied,"I told you want side by side didn't I?"

So I guess I'll find a home for the -8 plans and get on with the -7!

I'm building a 7 because I want to be able to get more trainning (IFR & Acro) and thought that I would work better, but those 8's look so good! The next airplane will likely be an 8.

I really liked Dick Martin's line when he heard I was building a 7: "Are you married? :)"

I'm reviving this old thread. I think we (wife and I) are headed towards a two seater (vs. a four seater) despite the fact that we are shooting for kids in the future. I'd be nice to take the whole family along, but I think we have determined that our primary objective is to have a fun sporty aircraft and if we have to travel we'll just non rev or drive. So, the -7 or -8? I've always wanted the -8, but as I do more research, the -7 has some advantages for our situation. The wife likes to fly (but doesn't want to solo). She wants to learn the basics, fly and do some landings (I'm a CFI too). She has about 20 hours from when I was still flying GA. So, pretty much, with the -8 that's out the window. She tells me that if the -8's my dream go for it, but I'm not sure (recently married) that's what she means...:confused: Is it really clearance to build the -8? Bottom line, its "our" airplane, and I think that the -7 might make the most sense. We aren't huge people (I'm 6' 1" 180, she's 5' 10" 140) so I'm not sure that the SBS would be an issue. Also, if and when we have kids, they will probably be 6-10 years old when I'm flying, so the SBS might be a good way to introduce them to flying.

Anyways, looking for opinions. Anyone built a -7 and wish they had built an -8 and why? How about the reverse, built an -8 and wish they had a -7?

The debate continues....

The question that I would ask is, on a scale of 1 to 10 what is your upper body "bubba factor"? I'm a petit 8 and there are days I'd like to take the saws-all to the canopy rail. I can tell how much fun I had the next day from the blue mark where my upper arm rubs that rail. Just 2.5" more room would have made a huge difference.

Be that as it may, I wanted an RV-4 but the wife had her share of looking at the back of my head in a T-34B and she wanted to sit beside me. "She who has been obeyed" is VERY happy in her -6.

7 ? 8

I have built/ owned 2 RV6s and 2 RV8s.
The two RV6s had 1500 hours TT before being sold.
My RV8 'Borrowed Horse' has just over 400 hours now, when I have an occasion to fly a RV7 these days I like my 8 better. I can see out better, and I like landing the RV8 too.
I have Carol with me most fo the time in the RV8. She is a pilot and would like to sit side by side, but prefers to come along in back apposed to staying home.

Last edited:
The debate continues....[/QUOTE said:
You may want to consider just how much "dual" flying you will do in the long run. I can't tell you how many times over the years I've heard the same thing you wrote "...my wife/girlfriend and I are going to spend years touring America in my..." After some relatively short period of time that very same person finds that he is flying solo 99% of the time. Look around your local airport and observe the number of single occupant, multi-seated aircraft operations vice the number of pilot plus passenger operations. So you might want to ask yourself "what airframe would I most like to fly solo in."
Don

You may want to consider just how much "dual" flying you will do in the long run. I can't tell you how many times over the years I've heard the same thing you wrote "...my wife/girlfriend and I are going to spend years touring America in my..." After some relatively short period of time that very same person finds that he is flying solo 99% of the time. Look around your local airport and observe the number of single occupant, multi-seated aircraft operations vice the number of pilot plus passenger operations. So you might want to ask yourself "what airframe would I most like to fly solo in."

However.......... a lot of couples do in fact, travel together in their RV's. We do, our friends do........and it's very much in evidence, when you read these forums. Personally, I much prefer side by side when a passenger is along for the ride. I also prefer company on flights, to share all of the excellent mountain/desert scenery we have around here.

But................If I had the time and money to build another aircraft; and could keep the side by side as well, I certainly wouldn't mind an "8". I really do like the military look and feel of a tandem or single place airplane. Makes the decisions tough.........doesn't it? :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Unending debate...

This discussion is futile. You need to decide what works the best for your situation. And yes, it will be a compromise. I have owned 2, 4, and 6 place airplanes and sometimes you just don't have the right one for the task at hand. The tandem/side by side decision was easy for me, I'm 6'3" and my favorite pal and aviation coconspirator, Lee, is long legged and 6' tall. We tried on RVs and found that the 7 legroom wouldn't work, but the 8 was perfect. Your mileage may vary.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

DSCN0246-1.jpg

Debating 7 vs 8

SWMBO who is also the Pres, GM amd CFO ordained that it MUST be a side by sid 7 over a tandem 8 'cause she wanted to see the little airplane on the instrument. So now I hand her the maps and have her hold them and try to trace the GPS track on the maps..keeps her busy. Next will be an 8 for sure so I can be "Walter Mitty" fighter pilot!
Dave
RV-7

The girlfriend wanted me to build a side by side, I couldn't decide between the 7 or the 9. Then we watched the RV Story video from Vans website, and then took a measuring tape and measured out 40 inches on the couch, and sat beside her inside the 40 inches.

I have wide shoulders and was taking some of her space. And once she found out there were 2 baggage compartments in the 8, the decision was made.