alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm headed to Oshkosh for the first time in my life. I'm also at the stage in my kit where I should be done with the airframe in the next year. Thus, I'm (relucantly) ready to look for deals I can't pass up on the things I'll need to finish... avionics and instruments, lights, interior misc., and (dare I say) engine and prop. While I would doubt there are deals on the latter two, what should I be watching out for otherwise? I ask now so that I can be researching regular prices beforehand so that when I get there I'll know a good deal if I see it? Thoughts from veterans? Thanks.

I've always found outstanding prices at Oshkosh on avionics and instruments. Figure out what you want and comparison shop the various vendors. You may save 5-10% versus normal retail prices.

I'd also suggest visiting the fly market and filling a bag with things like an assortment of Adel clamps, wire in various useful gauges, and other building "supplies" that you can't just run out and get (unless you live in the same town as Aircraft Spruce) when you suddenly need a slightly different clamp, bolt, screw, etc.. I'd also pick up some extra locknuts, cotter pins, safety wire, etc. It's just a great place to get those aircraft specific specialty items that can slow down your build when you don't have them...

Paul

Paul's idea of hitting the flea market is an excellent idea!! You can get most of that stuff dirt cheap, and it always seems that you will need something a month after Oshkosh that you saw there but didn't get.

I'm not sure when you're planning on going, but we went last year for the last three days of the show, and did most of the shopping in the display areas during that time. You'll often find that, if you wait until the last day or two, you will receive even better deals from everyone because they don't want to have to pay to ship things back. If I remember, we got an Infinity stick grip for almost 50% off, a Concorde battery from Spruce for something like 25% off, and a few other good deals.

Whenever you go, have a great trip and take lots of pictures!! :p

I agree with Paul, go to the market and buy a bunch of hardware. You will be amazed how much extra hardware you will end up using when you start on the stuff Van's doesn't supply. Grab a guy that has finished an RV and get him to walk with you through the hardware stalls in the market and point out the stuff he ended up needing. You will end up with a few hundred dollars worth of nuts and bolts but it will save a bunch of calls to Spruce. Also those floor sweepings are nice to get. Every once in a while you need a large rivet to fill a whole of a funcky nutplate and those floor sweepings seem to have a bunch of that stuff.

And that soft serve is a great deal.

Tool deals at OSH?

As a future RV builder, I'm preparing to tool up, likely with a kit from Avery or Isham/Planetools. Upgrades will include a pneumatic squeezer and the DRDT-2. Would it worth waiting to see if there are good deals on new or used tools at OSH (if it matters, I will be attending midweek and will miss the first three days)? I've never been through the vendor or swap areas, so have no idea.
Thanks,
Carl Peters
(future -9A builder)

Before deciding, you may want to call Fred Kunkel at Clear Air Tools. Last I heard, he has a very competitive kit offering. Top integrity guy, and he knows more about pneumatic tools than anybody else on the planet. (Not financially affiliated, he's just a friend from SoCal.) He may be up at Arlington as we speak.

Most of my tools are from Avery, and I've had nothing but good experience with them. They do have a nice booth at Oshkosh (exhibit building A IIRC) where you can actually play with all the neat stuff in their catalog. They do have some very good airshow deals. I would wait until Oshkosh before buying anything.

If you've never been through the vendor areas, you will reasonably suspect that you've died and gone to heaven.

Dittos with what Jeff said. Oshkosh venders bring a lot of stuff and do not want to take it back. I have wheeled and dealed on a lot of stuff over the years. Many dealers will meet or beat pricing of competitors. Bring a list of tools and airplane equipment and DEAL!!! Avery Rules for tools, though.

Roberta

I'm piecing mine together, for one because I didn't have the money up front for a kit, but also because I don't like ALL of avery's stuff. Yes they have good tools, but I don't like everything they sell compared to some other companies. I want the best of all worlds. JMHO.

Try Clear Air

In my opinion Fred at Clear Air is an excellent source for tools. I modified his standard kit a bit and not only got top knotch tools that have served me well, but I got access to Fred's vast knowledge on using and maintaining them.

Give him a call.

Antony

When I assembled my tool collection, I found that no single tool package includes everything you'd need (want?), and you'll always find the need to purchase additional add on tools as your project proceeds.

With this in mind, I went with Shaun Isham's RV toolkit at Planetools.com, because he included all the essentials, as well as a couple of nice luxury items (new pneumatic squeezer, DRDT-2) for a really reasonable price. He's also been great with regard to customer service. I've purchased individual tools and supplies from Planetools, and other vendors, since then, but I'm glad that I purchased this toolkit.

Just my $0.02.

Rudy
-9A, finishing elevators
Ripon, CA

my 2 cents

Hiya,,, I went with Planetools as well... great kit, reasonable price and service was amazing. Fast shipping and no hassles. I had a question about my pneumatic and it was answered very fast.

justa an opinion,,, YMMV etc.etc.

M

Cleaveland deal

Just got back from the NWEAA Fly-in and Mike Lauritsen from Cleaveland was there and gave me a little bit of a deal when I placed an order for their kit (with some changes). I could have taken most of the stuff on-the-spot, but the 152 I flew up in was already at gross with 2 of us so 50 pounds of tools wasn't an option. It was nice to be able to ask questions and actually see the tools while making my decisions. I'd imagine they have the same deal at OSH.

bill
aspiring 7A builder

Last edited:
PlaneTools

I bought my tools from Isham (Plane Tools) and am very happy with the tools and service. At and after Sun -N - Fun they had a good deal on the delux RV tool kit with the free pneumatic squeezer and I added a DRDT2 for around $150. Everything arrived in good condition and they have a great service department.

John

Phillips 20w50 for 25$/ case
Plexus for 7$ for the big can
Maybe not major purchases, but pretty good deals!

T.

Blue Mountain Avionics had $500 discount on their EFIS sport, and similiar on their auto pilot, engine POD and Power board..

The AOA wing kit from Advanced was $375 instead of $400. I didn't go, but Thermos did. I paid full boat for mine 2 weeks ago!

The difference is a BOTTLE OF RUM!!!

:( CJ

AOA Pricing Confusion

Is this the same AOA system from http://advanced-control-systems.com/?

Their price sheet on the website shows the AOA Sport kit costing $890?
http://advanced-control-systems.com/Pricing/pricing.html

and here: http://advanced-control-systems.com/Products/AOA/aoa.html

I am on the wing kit now, however, I am holding off on assembling the wing ribs for now, until i can sort out what options i want. One option i am considering is the AOA. However, i was shocked by how much this AOA kit costs? Crickey!

It might be worth $400, but certainly not $900, to me, anyway.

Jae

That is the one, but it is just the "A" Kit they give ya for $400. You know, the rough plumbing stuff...

I dunno what EFIS I will be using yet, but this leaves it wide open for options as yet.

;) CJ

On Saturday I saw a Lowrance Airmap 2000 listed for $675.00. If I didn't already have an Airmap 1000 I would have pulled the trigger. I don't remember who had it for sale at that price. Maybe JoePilot or the Pilots Mall???? Brain cells got fried from the heat.......

Hey Tom....Was that you that bought the last case of oil at $25.00??! I waited too long....read that was too lazy to carry it back to my campsite.....and they were all sold out by the time I stopped to get some :(

Last edited:
Got the show price on the QT Halo headset, and LOVE it!! Also bought a great bucking bar for $8.

Nope, but we (myself and 2 friends) get a total of 12 cases of oil; enough from the Aeroshell people that their guy with the John Deere ATV loaded it all up and drove it back for us (he worked for an oil distributor and didn't really care what brand he was hauling. Just don't tell the Aeroshell guys!) He even hung around and drank a beer with us back at the campsite. Nice guy.
We bought them on Monday and there was still lots left then...

Thomas

Deals at Oshkosh

I bought the following:

Garmin 396 for $2195, not including the $100 rebate check from Garmin for buying at AirVenture...after dodging some crummy weather on the way up with a borrowed Garmin 195 (the brick) I decided I needed a good GPS for the return trip. Also, the Aviator Lite only cost an additional $23.95 to my existing XM subscription. For my flying (and driving), I am very pleased. After 3 or 4 years, I may upgrade to a 796! ;)

QT Halo headset...wore my first one on the trip up and bought a second one for my wife at the show for $340....YMMV, but I LOVE IT! :D

I extended my subscription to FLYING magazine several years for a few bucks.

I bought a few other items, but I can't really call them deals.

Don

I didn't even GO to Oshkosh, and QT allowed me to place an order for a Halo last friday for the show price! Couple of weeks wait for them to get supplies to build some however.....

Paul

refurbished GNS 530 for $8950 looked like a deal. The fuel cap openers for $2 and all those guys getting free O2 refills, even if you didn't have their brand tanks.

Nuvite polish compounds 1lb for $37, wonder if I can still get it?

Got a nice brown leather belt for $3, a leather iPod case for $1 and a backpack SLR camera/accessory backpack for $29!! Only cost me $x,xxx in fuel, oil, food, etc. to get to the great deals! :D

Saved ~$200

Bought Oxygen system and bag from Skyox and an EI 4 probe EGT from Aircraft Spruce in the Exhibit Hangars. Saved me around $200 off of catalog prices. They shipped to my home.

Bob Axsom