jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
It appears that vendors for Garmin avionics are tied in to using Garmin specified pricing-everywhere you look seems like prices are the same. Maybe a vendor will throw in free shipping but thats it.

Do vendors at Airventure offer deals for panel mounted radios and avionics-specifically Garmin products? If so, what is somewhat typical? I know deals for hand held GPS units are often available, especially when older models are pushed out by newer models.

Jim
RV9a

In the past four years that I've been attending, I've never found any kind of substantial "deals" on brand new avionics of any brand.

I did buy a used portable GPS there from an avionics vendor, but the price was not really any better than typical fair market value of that particular model, and within $10 of competing vendors' prices for the same unit.

I've gotten a modest discount on a brand new Stewart Warner oil cooler there last year, but it was nothing to get too excited over.

The best things to buy at airshows are typically pilot supplies, headsets, handheld radios, portable GPSes and stuff. Panel mount stuff not so much....you're likely to get a better deal outside the show anyway. Sometimes people ask me if I can match company "X's" show specials...to which I usually reply that I'd be happy to, because they often are higher than what we'd charge anyway!

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

The main thing is that it's one of the few places you can evaluate many brands and types all at once.

Whether that's worth the hassle is another matter.

Workshops

The real deal for me has been the free workshops I could attend, with teachers like Sam James or Mike Busch, not to mention meeting with a bunch of people I use to talk with on this forum. We had a nice 9/9A gathering where I could make some friends.

And on top of that, coming from France, everything I could buy and carry back with me was worth it, because I saved on taxes and shipping charges.
I arrived with a big empty luggage and went back home with 70 pounds of "stuff":D
YMMV