N941WR

Legacy Member
Every once in a while, a builder somewhere, messes up a part. God knows I have trashed my share.

To help make future builders know they are not alone when they bugger up a part, it was suggested we post pictures of parts that for one reason or another won't get to fly with us.

Here is a partial pile of dead parts I had laying around the shop, after I made my first flight.

(click to enlarge)

Using the correct tool for the job at hand would have significantly reduced the size of this pile.

Dead parts

Using the correct instruction for the job as well. Big part is a tank baffle. Lots of z-brackets in the bin. Thank goodness for VAF and experts.
jz9nyr.jpg

Last edited:
Every once in a while, a builder somewhere, messes up a part. God knows I have trashed my share.

To help make future builders know they are not alone when they bugger up a part, it was suggested we post pictures of parts that for one reason or another won't get to fly with us.

Here is a partial pile of dead parts I had laying around the shop, after I made my first flight.

Using the correct tool for the job at hand would have significantly reduced the size of this pile.

My box of spare parts looks to be about the same. It is a good source for scrap aluminum when you need to fabricate something else down the road.

Spar - Buyer Beware

AABCG2HUcP43SVNqtICbfFDga

RV-9 Spar, misdrilled rivet by previous builder, hidden very well during pre-purchase inspection, not mentioned by seller, typical buyer beware lesson.

Also, unrepairable wavy trailing edge aileron. I thought I could bring it back from the dead, but couldn't pull it off.

Last edited:
Amateurs!!!!!

.... That's nothing! We took our scrap bin to the iron & metal yard the other day and the weight was 4,753 lbs. Now that is what I call evidence of professional mistake makers. Thanks, Allan...:confused::rolleyes:

I was telling an experienced RV builder about all the parts I've ruined on my RV-3B and he told me that when his RV-7 was done, he took his scrap to a dealer and got $136 for it.

Dave

The trashed wing spar might win, but I'll play...

2h3pis2.jpg

And this pile doesn't include a main gear weldment and an almost fully-assembled horizontal stabilizer. There's definitely a trim tab in there somewhere.

But, I'm learning a lot, and started powering up some instruments today!

2i6euj9.jpg

Chris