speyers

Well Known Member
Having been involved in building 3 different RV kits, including two non-prepunched kits, deburring is one task that seems to eat up lots of time. Whether it is cleaning up edges or twirling drill bits in holes, SLOW is the only way to describe this process.
When I finally started using the 3M Scotchbrite wheels, that really speed up the edge finishing but there was still all those pesky holes to clean up either with a twist drill or deburring tools. Finally the light went on and I have started to us the smaller Scotchbrite wheels to clean the holes up after drilling. The nightmares of hours spent handling wing skins and ribs has turned into minutes with a quick pass from the Scotchbrite wheel! This has to be the fasted way to clean up a hole, I did a complete wing skin (both sides)in less than 3 minutes!
5jtehc.jpg

Yup! It sure avoids the over deburring thing a lot of folks do ( including me :eek:). With a 3 flute bit... learn this a while ago. Its not good for a polished finish though. I bought a ton of those softer wheels from a surplus place& those are awesome for this approach!!!

deburring

Would the die grinder with the scotch brite maroon pad work? I use it for small jobs. Think I will try it next piece.

alclad

You are removing the very thin layer of pure aluminum, that makes it alclad. Are you concerned with corrosion down the road?

No

You are removing the very thin layer of pure aluminum, that makes it alclad. Are you concerned with corrosion down the road?

No. Many of the alluminum pieces are not alclad so it does not matter with them. Plus I am not planning on polishing. I prime everything as well so that is better corrosion protection than the alclad.