doctornigel

I'm now at the point of trying to decide the Dynon heated pitot/AOA location.
The stock Van's location gives me access at the bellcrank access plate for future maintenance. But will this location be acccurate for AOA? Van's has a location marked for an AOA only location, I assume you can't get to it after install but an AOA only you wouldn't need to ? The Dynon is heated which I assume may fail at a future date needed to be changed out. Thanks

Outboard of inspection plate

I'm now at the point of trying to decide the Dynon heated pitot/AOA location.
The stock Van's location gives me access at the bellcrank access plate for future maintenance. But will this location be acccurate for AOA? Van's has a location marked for an AOA only location, I assume you can't get to it after install but an AOA only you wouldn't need to ? The Dynon is heated which I assume may fail at a future date needed to be changed out. Thanks

Doc,

I did a lot of looking at this and other builder sites and decided to go with the majority and that is to place the tube in the by just outboard of the bell crank inspection plate. You will still have access to the probe for removal and it should not interfere with the tie down ring. You can visit my site below to see some pictures.

Cheers

I am about to start the wings and have been thinking about the same issue. It certainly seems that the location just outboard of the aileron inspection panel works well and is what VANS recommends. I am planning to use the SafeAir mount which is very simple and easy.

As for the heater control unit, it looks like some sort of mount on the inspection panel cover would work well. Haven't quite figured it out yet but something similar to the electric aileron trim mount should work and avoid any interference with the aileron run.

Now just have to get that tailcone finished and I can get going...... :)

Watch for the "tie-down".

When moving the pitot outboard, keep in mind where the tie-down will be. Early plans for the -4 & -6 had the pitot just outboard of the tie-down which caused problems.

Put it in the bay outside the bellcrank. I made the mistake of putting it where Van put's the basic tube. The aileron push tube now has to be disconnected in order to remove the pitot mast. Also, the push tube gets in the way of bending the small pitot/AoA lines, requiring tighter bends. I put the heater unit on the bellcrank access plate.
John