aadamson

Well Known Member
All,

I had the need to create a simple Tap for a DB25 connector. I decided to try out a new board house and have lots available. These make a great way to Y into anything that uses a DB25 connector. E.g.GPS, or other signals. They are very simple to use, you just unconnect your existing db25 and plug this in-between. Screws and nuts can be picked up easily at Frys or RS.

I will supply them with connectors - either 2 males, 2 females or 1 of each - your choice. The board presses between the solder cups and then you solder the connectors to the little board. The board has a tap point for each pin number and it's only .5 inches wide. The entire connector is only 1.5" wide when assembled. The via's will take up to 20ga wire and should support anything that we might need.

I'll sell these for $5 each or $8 for a pair (2 full sets) + $2 S/H (usps) to anywhere in the US (international if needed will be actual postage or a negotiated rate).

If interested, drop me a note with qty, gender, and I'll provide paypal information for purchase and get them shipped right out.

I've attached pictures for your reference, if those don't go thru, you can see them here.

DSCN2109_edited-2.jpg

DSCN2111_edited-2.jpg

DSCN2114_edited-1.jpg

my email is adamson (underscore) alan at hotmail dot com

As a side note, I'm tempted to do the same for db9 and db15 connectors... we'll see, I suppose if there is enough demand, I could do the big db connectors too (37 pin is it?).

All,

I had the need to create a simple Tap for a DB25 connector. I decided to try out a new board house and have lots available. These make a great way to Y into anything that uses a DB25 connector. E.g.GPS, or other signals. They are very simple to use, you just unconnect your existing db25 and plug this in-between. Screws and nuts can be picked up easily at Frys or RS.

I will supply them with connectors - either 2 males, 2 females or 1 of each - your choice. The board presses between the solder cups and then you solder the connectors to the little board. The board has a tap point for each pin number and it's only .5 inches wide. The entire connector is only 1.5" wide when assembled. The via's will take up to 20ga wire and should support anything that we might need.

I'll sell these for $5 each or $8 for a pair (2 full sets) + $2 S/H (usps) to anywhere in the US (international if needed will be actual postage or a negotiated rate).

If interested, drop me a note with qty, gender, and I'll provide paypal information for purchase and get them shipped right out.

I've attached pictures for your reference, if those don't go thru, you can see them here.

DSCN2109_edited-2.jpg

DSCN2111_edited-2.jpg

DSCN2114_edited-1.jpg

my email is adamson (underscore) alan at hotmail dot com

As a side note, I'm tempted to do the same for db9 and db15 connectors... we'll see, I suppose if there is enough demand, I could do the big db connectors too (37 pin is it?).

Actually, you already have the 9 and 15 pin ones done... just cut down the 25 to what you need.

Great idea, useful for many things.

Vern

Thanks Vern, yea I thot of that, but to cut them might take a little patience... We'll see if I get enough requests I'll do some specific for 9's and 15's... 25's are what most eveything uses tho... EIS, for example is a prime candidate to use one of these to either tap the data for telemetry, or other. GPS's, other serial or ARINC devices, etc. You could, if you had the room, daisy chain some together...

Course, they can be used for just about anything as well :)

Thanks for the comments, I've used something similar before and just decided to do some actual boards this time...

The EIS will output all the data on a serial bus, so there is no need to intercept the incoming sensor data.

Precisely, but what if you wanted to pick off that serial stream and send it to a data radio for wireless telemetry or send it to some other form of storage device, or you wanted two or more different things to read/decode or deal with the EIS output. That's what this little board is perfect for....

I have no interest in picking off the individual probes, that would most likely cause problems anyway as some my have "load" challenges with more than one thing connected to the probe.

The EIS will output all the data on a serial bus, so there is no need to intercept the incoming sensor data.

True, but the serial leads are part of the wires on one of the two db-25s. If you are already wired it may be easier to just use one of these little guys to pick off the serial in and out lines.

I just terminated my EIS-4000 serial lines yesterday but ordered several of these anyway just to have around. I can see them coming in handy down the road (or sky).

Another way to mult connections

You can also use DBx/IDC flat ribbon connectors to make mults. Just squeeze on the number/sex connectors you need on a common flat ribbon. Will cost you more in connectors but works.