DEWATSON

Well Known Member
I love the stories I've read on this forum about comments from controllers about the speed of our airplanes. My wife and I flew our RV8 to the Daytona 500 yesterday...it clips along at about 178 knots at 3500 feet MSL. Twice I had controllers ask me what I was flying. I don't know why, but I've never had a controller ask that when I was flying any of the airplanes I've owned in the past. I'd like to think it was because of the speed my blip was moving across his radar screen. I got the big head thinking that they were impressed with it's speed. BUT, the comment that really made my head swell was on final approach following a Premier Jet. We had about four miles to touchdown descending out of 1600 feet MSL. I saw the jet turning base as I was turning downwind and I reduced manifold pressure to about 20 inches and trimmed for the descent. We were cooking pretty good. I was catching the jet. Of course I realize the jet was dirty. On final for me as the jet was touching down, the controller (a very nice female voice) said "6 delta whiskey, you do see the Premier Jet ahead of you, right?". We laughed...it was a hoot. RVs are so cool!!!! Bump drafting a Premier Jet on final!!!!!

Last edited:
Pictures Dave!! ...

Sounds like you are really enjoying the RV Dave.

Would love to see some pictures of the finished product.

Gotta get down there to "The Farm" and see it up close.

CONGRATS again.

Old classmate ... :)

Daytona

James,

Come on down anytime. We still have four fairings to put on and a lot of paint. We really are enjoying it though.

David

On final for me as the jet was touching down, the controller (a very nice female voice) said "6 delta whiskey, you do see the Premier Jet ahead of you, right?". We laughed...it was a hoot. RVs are so cool!!!! Bump drafting a Premier Jet on final!!!!!

She was probably a lot more concerned about you encountering wake turb. than she was impressed with your speed.
Bump drafting a jet that is all dirtied up and flying slow (regardless the size) can be a risky situation.