g zero

Well Known Member
Looking for paint ideas for my 8 ,I have some designs in mind but don't want something that looks out of date 7 to 10 years from now.Did not want to go checkered tail / military ,but that seams to never go out of style.Any Thoughts?

You can always paint it with a simple base colour (white) and use vinyl trim. I believe that is how the new Cessna?s are painted. I painted a 172 that way a few years ago and it still looks great today. The nice thing is you can change it fairly inexpensively if you chose too. There are lots of neat ideas out there on cars.

Looking for paint ideas for my 8 ,I have some designs in mind but don't want something that looks out of date 7 to 10 years from now.Did not want to go checkered tail / military ,but that seams to never go out of style.Any Thoughts?
When I showed my paint design to a professional aircraft painter, he said it was a '40s design and I wouldn't win any awards. I didn't paint it to win awards. I painted it to satisfy myself. However, I do have several plaques hanging on my wall including 2 from Sun-N-Fun.
Bottom line...Paint it the way YOU want it to look.

Yep, Mel is right. Paint it the way you want it to look.

HOWEVER (and this of course my own personal opinion and others will undoubtedly differ even if they are completely wrong ;)), curvy lines running down the sides of RVs...well....they look pretty bad. RVs are short from spinner to rudder and adding a bunch of curves just makes them look shorter. These are little hotrods and they should look like it.

Every RV has fantastic "lines" in the profile of the design. You don't need to spruce it up with fancy paint and lines running everywhere in every direction. Keep the paint scheme simple. I believe the simple ones are the most timeless, and that is exactly what I was aiming for.

Of course I am *completely* biased.

IMG_4404-1.JPG

I work in the marine industry on very expensive, fast performace and offshore boats. Your right, the paint scheme, patterns, and colors are VERY dating. To the point that I can look at a particular boat, say a Fountain or Schiada or Eliminator, and guess the age within a couple of years. If your worried about that, I say go with a solid color, red or yellow are always nice, with perhaps a contrasting stripe down the sides. Nothing fancy. Or the "typical" RV paint job as pictured above always say "RV" and looks good (to me at least.) White base with a colored tail with twintapering striped to the nose.

When i was trying to come up with a paint scheme, I drove aroundthe ramp at our airport, lookign for ideas on on other planes. It was funny how quickly I coudl put each airplane into it's "decade" - "oh, there's an 80's Piper" for instance.

But....do you really care? As Mel said - it's all about what YOU want to see when you walk in to the hangar each day!

Paul