Don

Well Known Member
I finally got my KMD-150 working correctly and I like the unit. I know its VFR only and it's somewhat dated but it has a large screen, is intuitive to use, and is sunlight readable. I went to update the database and suffered sticker shock. Bendix King wants $265 for a one time update. Compare that to the $40 I usually pay to Garmin for a single update for an Aera 510 and I was dumbfounded.

After having a couple of e-mails go essentially unanswered, I wrote the company a note to tell them I no longer needed an answer to why their databases cost many times what comparable databases cost because I wouldn't deal with a company with such poor customer service. To my surprise, I got a call from the company (and I had not given them my phone number).

They stated since the KMD 150 is a certified unit Jeppesen gouges them for the data. Apparently Jeppesen's pricing varies with the GPS. It was a friendly enough discussion and the guy actually said his recommendation (and what he did) was use an iPad and databases cost $100/year or less. When I asked what kind of certification the KMD150 had, he didn't have an answer. I indicated it wasn't IFR capable, it wasn't really even a substitute for charts and it seemed like a low end GPS. No answer beyond use an iPad.

I've considered this response for a couple of days now. On one level, I'm dumbfounded by the response when considered in light of his claim that Bendix King is planning to come back as the premier avionics company they once were. While I'm not a Garmin fanboy, I can afford their updates which seem somewhat over-priced but I'll not even consider a B-K product as I upgrade.

So, I've decided on a personal level to find out if there is a *legal* way to update the KMD-150 database without going through Bendix King's upgrade service? I figured someone here might know of a way to buy a Garmin database, load it on the KMD-150 card in such a way that the KMD-150 will read it. I'm guessing the data is pretty much all the same, maybe formatted differently.

If not, my only options are to pay the $265 per update, or sell the unit and install a Garmin product. I figure in a year I should be ahead cost wise. So, is there any alternative to affordably update my KMD-150 database?

I think your problem is that the 150's datacard also contains the software and in order to read/update the date card , you need a $400 omnidrive for the PCMCIA card that does not have any window drives to read on a computer with a PCMCIA slot

Been there, done that ( or not in this case )

I feel your pain. I have a 150 as well and even though I feel its a great VFR unit and been reliable, the costs of updates is totally rediculous for a VFR unit :eek:

I used to share a 1 year subscription ($500 for 4 updates) with a friend who also had one which made it a little less painful, but since installing the Garmin 696 a number of years ago I no longer update the king.

As soon as I can afford to upgrade the panel (not anytime soon probably) the Unit is coming out.

I do have to wonder how many subs BK gets for the 150 database, it can't be too many per cycle

I don't know how many subscriptions they get per cycle either but I doubt that its many. Their story is they can't sell it for less because Jeppesen charges them so much and he claimed the price on some subscriptions is based on what aircraft the unit is installed in. I'm not sure I believe this. If you check their prices for updates, the KLN 35A also uses the Jeppesen database and it's $50 to update with a disk, $45 via internet and a full 12 month subscription is $235. I'm pretty sure BK could charge a reasonable price right now...but they have a peculiar business model, which has lost at least 2 customers I know of. I suspect it works in the corporate world where business expenses are just passed on. It doesn't work that way in GA and especially in experimental GA.

Walt, thanks for the idea. Two updates per year for $250 is still 3 times what Garmin would get for a VFR unit but it isn't as distasteful and insane as one update for $265. And I agree, that when it's time to update the panel, the KMD-150 is coming out and it won't be a Bendix King GPS that replaces it. If the screen on the Aera 510 was just a bit bigger, the KMD-150 would be on eBay this week.

Last edited:
I have a 150 in my aircraft as well. The plane was first flown in 2003, and I am the fourth owner. I just updated my database and discovered that was the first time it had been done; the database I replaced was from 2002! Obviously the cost of BK's updates does not encourage people to stay up to date. I have heard of a number of people keeping the 150 in their panel with old databases and using Foreflight or similar programs with affordable databases for current airport and airspace information. Interesting that BK themselves would suggest that solution...