uuacallis

I am just getting started, so I have some time before I need to worry about this, but I was curious, per vans advertising, all you need are fluids and paint after you complete the RV-12 kit. So, if that is the case, which kit does the data plate come in?

Do they handle the engraving for you?

No, they do not engrave it for you. You can get your d/p from the EAA or have your local sports trophy shop make you one.

VAF data plate

Or you can go to Avery tools and get a Vans Air Force Data plate and have it engraved.:)
Bob

RV-12 DATA PLATE

To answer the original question: The RV-12 Data Plate is included in the RV-12 DOCUMENT KIT. The Document Kit is sent to you in a seperate packet after you have purchased the engine kit. In addition to the Data Plate, it includes all of the interior placards, the exterior decals, the flight training supplement, POH, PAP, etc.

It also includes the ELSA documentation paperwork, Bill of Sale, Airworthiness Application, Mfgr Statement of Compliance, etc.

In other words, Van's includes everything you need except, as you say, "fluids and paint".

They do not engrave the data plate for you.

Tony

The claim is true except for the fiber glass and resin you'll need for the canopy, and the fuel tank sealer.

Aircraft Specialty currently has the ELSA data plates from Vans on order. We will be happy to engrave data plates for our customers either by supplying them or engraving data plates supplied by our customers.

We also carry regular EAB data plates, as well as VAF data plates, to give our customers a choice of what they would like.

And our online data plate ordering forms make it super easy.

Thanks again to all of you for allowing us to earn your business.
Steve

Data plate..

I got mine from Avery.

2h2jhio.jpg

This plus some possibly sketchy letter/number stamps from Harbor Freight should do the job. Looking to mount my plate sometime in 202x. These will be, for sure, the last four rivets I'll drive!

Last edited:
Here's a picture of a data plate as we engrave them. I just realized I don't have a high resolution image of a VAF data plate. But this picture will give you an idea of the clarity of the engraving.

Nothing at all wrong with punches. It works and accomplishes the task. Personally, I've never been able to get a set of punches to produce a nice looking data plate....BUT, I was also really never very good at coloring inside the lines either! :)

Have a great evening
Steve

6cf2ab808231.jpg