mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am about ready for my airworthiness inspection. I have a data plate (on a VAF blank) and am scratching my head about where to place it. I understand the regulations, just wondering where everyone places them on a tail dragger model 8. The least conspicuous would be under the HS. It would be pretty difficult to see without crouching down. Is that still considered okay? I really don't want to drill the holes and then find out I have to move it.

Where have others places the plate?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 (almost) Finished
San Ramon, CA

Regulations say that the data plate must be readable by a person on the ground.
I does not say the person must be standing, crouching, or even laying down.
Many Bonanzas have it on the very bottom of the fuselage.
Most people put it on the side of the fuselage just under the horizontal stabilizer.

Me Too.

Mel know what he is talking about. Addendum, if you are thinking it may need to be moved at some point down the road. The two inspection plate for the push rod in the tail are a good place to pop the holes in as they are easy to change out down the road. Hope this helps. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

The data plate must be permanently attached to a permanent part of the airframe. It my NOT be attached to a removable inspection cover.

Like this?

v5zrzb.jpg

Ours is on the top of the fuselage just behind the passenger seat so it is visible through the canopy.

Ours is on the top of the fuselage just behind the passenger seat so it is visible through the canopy.

Must be mounted on the outside of the aircraft. If inside, it would not be visible with a canopy cover installed.
ref: part "45.11(a)(3).....must be secured to the aircraft fuselage exterior so that it is legible to a person on the ground, and must be either adjacent to and aft of the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage surface near the tail surfaces."