Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
The best way to avoid Flying in IFR conditions? Be loaded for Bear! Louise and I had to go to Minnesota for some family business over the long holiday weekend, and watching the weather the days before, I had everything ready to file and fly IFR both ways – Dual-redundant EFIS all set, GPS database current, pilot(s) current and ready. With the equipment we have in the Val, we’re ready for anything (except thunderstorms and ice…). So of course, the possible low weather forecast for the trip up evaporated the night before, and we launched into an early-morning sky that was a bit hazy, but VFR legal and rapidly clearing to mucky but clear. So much for the trip up (two-hop, VFR, 6:30 on the clock due to headwinds, but split between the two of us, an easy day).

While taking care of business in the Cities, we kept an eye on the return weather. I needed to be back in Houston for a Wednesday meeting, so we figured we’d fly home on Monday unless Tuesday looked absolutely perfect (rare). Our fall-back plan was simple – if we couldn’t’ get out and home either day, I could hop a SWA flight home, and Louise could bring the Val when the weather cleared – she had more work flexibility this week than I did. It’s amazing how much work one can do these days with a laptop and a cell phone! With a low pressure area and a cold front forming up in the mountains and getting ready to move into the plains on Sunday/Monday, we kept an eye on the weather page all weekend. Sunday’s picnic/BBQ was dampened by occasional showers in the vicinity, but by 1900 local, the clearing line was evident to the west, and by sunset it was clear. A line of showers/thundershowers now stretched southwest from central Wisconsin to El Paso.

Monday morning dawned very early in Minnesota (I forget what summertime at high latitudes can be like – light skies at 0500!), and it looked like the line of weather behind the front had died away – mostly. A few light showers showed on the radar in eastern Iowa and north Missouri, and a stubborn pocket of red and orange (thunderstorms) seemed to have the eastern half of Oklahoma in a clench, neither building or receding – and not really moving. Our course takes us right down the seam between Kansas/Missouri and Oklahoma/Arkansas, so this blob was of distinct interest. The METARs were good (VFR) all the way home, and the TAF’s equally optimistic. This didn’t seem to jive with that cold front charted on the maps, but since we were in the clear all way to our fuel stop in eastern Kansas (Fort Scott), I figured we could get that far and then decide if we had to go out west to make an end run around storms. It would have been a long deviation – out to Wichita Falls or so – but this time of year, that would have made more sense than going east if things were building.

First-leg Weather (The Back Seater gets the 396):
IMG_0245.JPG

The nice thing about flying an RV is that if you’re airborne from Minnesota before 0700, you’re halfway to the Gulf of Mexico by coffee time (0930 or so). That means that we were halfway long before noon, and since summer thunder-dodging is usually an afternoon sport, we could be home before the warm-up rounds began. Louise had the first leg, so while she flew us down to Kansas, I spent my time watching that weather down in Oklahoma. I watched it hard – and it just sat there. I don’t hold much faith in psychic powers, but as I stared it, the dang blob just sat there and got weaker! The front seemed to have pulled up stationary about where it was in the morning, and surprisingly, there was little new activity cooking off in front of it. When we landed for fuel, the direct course line was still showing “clear’ on the METARS, so we wasted little time turning around, and I completed the checklist on the taxi, launching as soon as we reached the runway.

Oklahoma Weather as we stopped for Fuel:
IMG_0247.JPG

It looked like “Direct PGO” (Rich Mountain VOR) would keep us east of the remaining radar returns until we headed direct to home, so that is what I keyed in to the navigator. Sure enough, the cells around Tulsa and on down south continued to die off – a high thin overcast preventing them from getting that important solar boost. A persistent area of cells down near Paris was my only real concern, but as we cross the ridges of southern Arkansas, the cell indications (on the XM) went away, followed by the lightning strikes, and only some heavy showers remained as we flew by about 30 miles to the east. Take that atmosphere!

Of course, getting cocky too early has its consequences. Crossing the red River put us back in the gulf Coast environmental zone, it’s heat and humidity combining to produce that wonderful soupy haze I have come to hate over the past 30 years. Our course lien passed right over Longview (GGG), and beyond that, I started to see some little pixels of green, then yellow, and quickly orange pop up between there and Lufkin. Looking through the murk ahead, I could see white cauliflowers pocking out of the haze layer, and it was apparent that they were growing pretty fast – in my estimation, much quicker than we were going to be able to climb (even in an RV!). Ceilings along the way were still reported about 4,000’, and we were cruising along at 8.5, facing growing walls of white. There were no returns to the west of course, so I dialed in a heading that put me clear to the right of anything I could see out the window, and kicked the vertical out of Autopilot to head for the deck. No way I wanted to be IFR in those turbulent cumulous with aspirations for greatness! We ducked under the edge of the clouds at the expected 4,000, opened up the vents to get some airflow (warm of course), and dialed back in for home, resigning ourselves to 45 minutes of bumps to end the day. Sure enough, we watched the showers build along our original course line for about 60 miles – it would not have been fun to be there! By the time we cleared the area of showers, we were close enough to the Houston Class B that it made little sense to go back up above the convection layer, so we stayed low and made a stop to pick up fuel before heading home to our airpark.

Another 13 hours on the airplane, but only half of it in my own logbook – the other half going to Louise this time. But it all counts towards the sum total of aeronautical knowledge and the experience of watching the weather once again. Tuesday is showing plenty of Weather up in Minnesota, making me feel good about our decision to dash for home before things got worse. When we crossed the cold front near Joplin in late morning, it was a non-event – not even a wind shift marked the passage. That front seems to have evaporated completely now, and little remains of the forecasted events for the week – replaced by whatever it is that the atmosphere has decided to do instead. Taking advantage of the opportunities you have instead of banking on two-day-out predictions is a good rule this time of year – at least across the central part of this vast continent. Another good lesson in a never-ending class on how to live above the surface of this planet that we call earth – and with two pilots in the plane, the tuition gets split two ways!

Paul

Last edited:
Nice trip, Paul....

Carol and I had about the same kind of adventure this week end going to Kansas City to see my brother and his wife. It seems summer has come really early this year, as we are seeing the morning low clouds and fog, plus the afternoon thunderstorms that are usually associated with July and August. Perhaps the weather forecasters are going to be right about this becoming a interesting Hurricane season.
Of course, I needed to be back at work on Tuesday, so I was just as concerned about getting home on Monday as I was about the weather for the trip out there on Saturday. I did notice the approaching cold front from the Northwest, but the temps behind the front didn?t look materially different to me then the temps ahead of the front, and that also coincided with the daily temps forecasts for the week ahead. So, I planned and hoped that the front would not cause any severe lines or clusters of thunderstorms, but I also knew it would go through Kansas City on Sunday night, and we would either have to leave on Sunday or plan to go through it on Monday on the way back to Atlanta.
I didn?t keep the screen shots as Paul did. We took off Saturday morning into a 600? ceiling to depart for Kansas, and managed to get on top at about 5500?. We went north to Chattanooga to avoid all of the thunderstorms already in Alabama. We had a really pleasant trip out there, with a stop in Kennett, Missouri, which seems to have the cheapest fuel around ($3.59). Of course, the Southeast exploded into thunderstorms that afternoon, but we were safely gone by then.
Sure enough, on schedule the front came through Kansas City as expected on Sunday night, with some rain. We got an early start on Monday in order to beat the forecasted thunderstorms in Atlanta after 1 PM, and hoping that the weather would improve in the Atlanta area as forecast, as everything was round 500?-600 overcast. Not undoable, but we don?t have an instrument approach into our fly in community. Luckily I had left a car at PDK on Friday (north side of Atlanta) so that was my alternate, and I told Carol that if we couldn?t get in to 4A7 with enough ceiling to get to Mallards Landing, we would be landing at PDK. Nice to not get any pressure from the other half.  Sure enough had to weave our way through the front about 100 miles from our departure point. We actually spent very little time in IMC, and were able to weave our way around the cells at 13000?. The tops looked to be only around 15000?, so what bumps there were weren?t very hard. Having the XM weather on board really helped make longer term heading changes, and it seemed to be updating every 5 minutes, which was very nice. The front only took about 15 minutes to cross, and then we descended back to 11000?, as I had brought the oxygen, but couldn?t find the regulator!  (Yes, of course I found it after we landed, and it was in the airplane!).
From Huntsville on into Atlanta we were intermittent IMC, and it did require an approach into 4A7, but we broke out enough above minimums to VFR it over to Mallards.
All in all, it was a wonderful trip, and it is very nice to have the capabilities, both in equipment and in performance, of the RV10. For the passengers, it rides the bumps much nicer than the other RV?s.

Wx page

only diplays North Up as shown. 396/496 all are like this if you are in the WX pages from the left menu.

keeping peace in the family

Good deal Paul, but you really need to change the configuration of your GPS so that track is up :D

erich

The 396 is in the back seat of the Valkyrie. Our compromise is to leave the the front seat in Paul's (mis-guided) preference of track up, since it's his airplane, and the backseat as (the proper) north up. Otherwise, he gets a dope slap on the back of the head when we switch seats! ;)

Shh.....

only diplays North Up as shown. 396/496 all are like this if you are in the WX pages from the left menu.

Yup, that's how it works! Louise doesn't know I had changed it to Track up on the moving map page, then switched it back before she landed.....;)

Oops!:eek:

Paul, Great pilot report from your trip UpNorth. Thanks for sharing;)

Jim Fogarty
RV9a building
kpwc
Just a little North of kbrd

Sorry guys I'm with Paul on this one. The seventhreeseven stays in track up unless were shooting an approach..:D