N674P

Well Known Member
Poking around somewhere other than these forums (for a change) I ran across sugestions on Van's website on holes for wiring runs. I felt sick when I saw this:
http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Wing_Wiring.pdf
I made 3/4" holes for Van's conduit centered in the forward upper corner.
The plans didn't warn against this, I think I've seen this position used before, and to me it looks like plenty of edge distance. I'll call Van's tomorrow, but in the meantime, can anyone ease my troubled mind?

I put my conduit in the top fwd corner of the main ribs. The only "issue" is that the wires dead end into the fuselage there, and you don't want to penetrate the fuselage there. The F-704 (F-904) side doublers stick out (aft) far enough that you can't just poke through right there.

So you need to joggle your wires down (and aft) to a reasonable penetration point.

Below and aft of the largest lightening hole is the "best" location, imho, but if you've already poked your conduit holes in the top/front corner then don't sweat it. Worked for me even if it wasn't ideal.

Thanks Dan!

Thanks Dan!
Maybe it was your site I saw this location...
So the 3/4" holes are ok there? I wasn't going to make the holes that big originally, but it was the only conduit Van's carried, so it must be the right stuff - I hope.

dan said:
Below and aft of the largest lightening hole is the "best" location...
And between bottom skin rivets. If you put the conduit over a rivet, it'll be even more difficult to rivet on the bottom skins. The location in Van's FAQ is working great for me so far.

Dave

Davepar said:
And between bottom skin rivets. If you put the conduit over a rivet, it'll be even more difficult to rivet on the bottom skins. The location in Van's FAQ is working great for me so far.

Dave
Riveting the bottom skins was one of my considerations - I figured to rivet the top skins, run the conduit, then it would be completely out of the way when riveting the bottom.

Johnny,

I did the EXACT same thing you did. Drilled my holes, then found that file on Van's website. Felt the same way, and your getting the exact same advise that I got here earlier this year. Don't worry about it. You can either drill additional holes in the lower corner of the wing walk ribs, or just leave it. I drilled the extra holes, and ended up not using them anyway. I'll figure out how to run the wires to the fuse when I get to that point. Shouldn't be much of a problem, like Dan said.

OK by Van's

OBTW - I did call Van's yesterday and Ken Scott said not to worry. He also said I might want to drill additional holes in the lower corner of the wing walk ribs (like Chad did) to snake the conduit to a better fuselage access point.