Skyhook

Well Known Member
The trailing edge part of the fairing just snapped clean off when I attempted to install it after annual.

I confess to being 'fiberglas challenged' and am sitting here like Lincoln's "head-struck duck".:eek:

Pictures?? Fiberglass is easy to repair. I have an idea on how I would repair it but need to see pictures first.

-Ron

Pictures?? Fiberglass is easy to repair. I have an idea on how I would repair it but need to see pictures first.

-Ron

I haven't had time nor inclination (shamefully admitted) to get to the picture posting stage, yet.
The break is just forward of the 'tuck-under' trailing edge and is straight up vertical. Clean break with a bit of thread feathering resulting in two pieces.

Nasty thing, that.

I pretty much have decided to give it a go and attempt to repair the thing with car parts kit stuff. That should do it, right??

Epoxy

How was the fairing made/what's the fairing layup? In other words, was it made with polyester resin, vinyl ester resin or epoxy resin? If you don't know, I'd recommend an epoxy repair:

'Car parts stuff' (the small kits sold in auto parts stores) usually contain polyester resin...this sticks well to other polyester parts, but not always well to epoxy.

Epoxy will stick well to other composites (including polyester layups). Might cost a bit more, but it's good stuff.

If you only need a small repair you can buy a repair kit from West System (101 series repair pack)... go to http://www.westsystem.com/ click on product info and scroll down to see the repair pack info. These are available from many marine stores including West Marine. Prices start at about $13.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...eId=10001&Ntk=Primary+Search&ddkey=SiteSearch

Good luck,
Mike

Transporter, thanks; I'm ordering from that site you recommended.

Although I have worked with metal and wood fiberglas is a substance I really do not like-- I'll get to like it some, though.;)

EDITED to add: I downloaded their User Manual.. Outstanding!

Last edited: