Rick6a

Well Known Member
This morning, "Darla", my slowbuild RV-6A took to the sky for the very first time. The 1.1 hour flight was largely conducted full throttle to seat the rings in the new Lycoming O-320-D1A driving a Sensenich prop. I also carried my handheld Garmin 296 aloft to compare numbers with the untested analog flight instruments. I anticipated a heavy left wing because this seems to be a common occurance, but Darla exhibited none. The VM-1000 engine monitor indicated all engine parameters as nominal. Oil temp indicated 170F. I started construction in March 2000 and Darla was essentially airworthy November past. I just completed transition training a few days ago.....the winds were right, the gut said "GO" so today was the day. It still feels like a dream....did I really do that just a few hours ago?

Rick Galati RV-6A N307R "Darla"

Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outstanding news!!! Great to get to meet you last Saturday and that 'Darla' took the skies. Welcome to the 'flying' column!!!!

Best,

Congradulations Rick

The enthusiasm which oozes from you in your post left me grinning like it was my first flight again. Very well done! Only one of us can truly understand. Thanks for sharing, and many thousands of safe hours in "Darla" for you my friend.

You made my day,
Bryan

Rick:

Super cool! What great motivation it is to read a first flight report on the morning after one of the few 'bad' days in the shop yesterday. Congrats & fly safe.

- Jamie

Congrats!

Good for you Rick!!!!!! Ain't life GRAND ;) I can tell you I much more prefer the flying to the building so I wish you a safe flight test program! Rosie