Contact info

Todds Canopy

1445 NE 33rd St., Ft Lauderdale, FL 33334
Phone: 954-579-0874
Email: [email protected] Phone # : 954-579-0874

I have the Plexiglass tint #2094.
This first picture is of 2 rv's, the 6 is clear, the rear is tinted.
canopytint.jpg

This next one is those cropped together so you can see the difference.
canopy2.jpg

Hope this was helpful

Dark Canopy

That dark canopy can be ordered in place of the standard through Van's

I ordered a bit darker tint to the canopy. The tint I ordered is 67% transparent--70% is the requirement for certified A/C. The tint number is #2514.-I did this when ordering my finish kit for the 6A

Last edited:
What about at night?

I have been considering going with a tinted canopy myself but I am curious as to how much this limits your vision at night.

Granted I don?t do a great deal of night flying but in the hot Texas summers it seems to be the most pleasant time to fly.

I would appreciate comments from anyone flying with a tinted canopy.

Thanks
Donald Prater
RV-8 Empennage
N284DP (Reserved)

Flying with both

Since I have both consider me an expert. :)
Its no problem with my level of tint mentioned above. I went through several night flights before I even realized that I was supposed to remember to pay attention to it. Your eyes adjust and I do not notice ANY difference, although clearly there is.

What you do notice is the "bake factor" being significatly lower in the tinted. I know nothing about UV-A, B or F. I only know that my head thanks me, and My wife, who is very sensitive to sunlight, loves the tint. Takes better pictures from the inside too and there is much less glare from the inside reflecting around to screw up your nice picture.

I do not know what the downside is of a light tint is. I only know upside for me.

My 2 cents.

I flew in two -8's this weekend back to back...Mike's Super 8 and "Barefoot Billy's". Billy has the standard tint canopy and for me the difference was very noticeable, particularly on the back of my neck.

I'm going tinted

Thanks for the input. These forums are turning out to be a great resource.

I have decided to go with the tinted canopy.

Texas heat is worth consideration. I believe I would be much more comfortable with a tinted canopy. I also think it looks better! :cool:

Regards,

Donald Prater
RV-8 Empennage
N284DP (Reserved)

Van's Standard canopy is tinted. The clear would be an option which Van's states is a rare order. You can also order a darker tinted canopies from Van's. One is not legal for night flight per Van's... Also a very rare order.