flyinga

Well Known Member
I am nearing completion of my RV-8 with an AEIO 360 A1B6 EXP (angle valve) engine; normaly 200 hp. Since EAA and AOPA seem to be pushing for "no-medical required" operation of aircraft with 180 hp or less (plus other restrictions), I would like to certify myaircraft/engine at 180 hp.

I fugure one way to do this would be to put a max manifold pressure in my ops limits that would equate to 180 hp. This is the way many STCs operate to allow higher hp engines to be installed in certified aircraft. Of course, i would never excede this limit.

Or could I just state in the ops limits that it is a 180 hp engine since it is experimental?

Thanks in advance!

Jim A
RV-8 (almost done)
180 hp AEIO 360 A1B6 EXP

Not a DAR call.

You can make any "designated" ratings you want on your amateur-built aircraft.
The problem, if ever, would come in court if you are ever challenged by your insurance company or anyone else.

My financial lady has a saying. Whenever I ask what I can deduct, she says; "You can deduct anything you want. Just think about how comfortable you would be explaining it to a judge."

Seems like you might do what the Carbon Cub does to keep the speed down in order to stay in the light sport catagory---placard the engine limiting the RPM's thereby keeping the HP down.

I, for one don't see any difference in what you're thinking and what Carbon Cub does.

One minor difference....

Seems like you might do what the Carbon Cub does to keep the speed down in order to stay in the light sport catagory---placard the engine limiting the RPM's thereby keeping the HP down.

I, for one don't see any difference in what you're thinking and what Carbon Cub does.

The engine manufacturer placarded their engine for 80 hp max continuous.

Use Lycoming's example

I am nearing completion of my RV-8 with an AEIO 360 A1B6 EXP (angle valve) engine; normaly 200 hp. Since EAA and AOPA seem to be pushing for "no-medical required" operation of aircraft with 180 hp or less (plus other restrictions), I would like to certify myaircraft/engine at 180 hp.

I fugure one way to do this would be to put a max manifold pressure in my ops limits that would equate to 180 hp. This is the way many STCs operate to allow higher hp engines to be installed in certified aircraft. Of course, i would never excede this limit.

Or could I just state in the ops limits that it is a 180 hp engine since it is experimental?

Thanks in advance!

Jim A
RV-8 (almost done)
180 hp AEIO 360 A1B6 EXP

Hey Jim:

Since it's experimental, you can de-rate it on the data plate to 2400RPM where it likely puts out ~180HP. A peek at the power chart will tell you what RPM get you 180HP at max MP, and you can use that number. Set your Governor there, too. Lyc has 2 ratings for the straight valve 540: 250HP @2400 and 260HP @2700. I see no reason why you can't follow their lead.

Heck, the data plate could carry both power ratings, and your POH could specify the 180HP version.

Limiting MP might be a bit harder to defend....tho it would serve the same purpose.

Carry on!
Mark