Dmadd

Well Known Member
I'm installing a new prop on my (bought) four. Do I need to put it back in flight test for a while? Or just make the log entry and re do the W+B?
TIA
Dennis

You don't need a DAR to answer that question, Look at the FARs & Operating Limitations. Back to Phase 1, and you need to contact your local FSDO office for final instructions. Yes you'll need a new W/B.

Last edited:
I'm installing a new prop on my (bought) four. Do I need to put it back in flight test for a while? Or just make the log entry and re do the W+B?
TIA
Dennis

It depends entirely on your operating limitations. They will tell you what is needed. The most recent edition will allow you to place the aircraft back into phase I yourself. Older limitations require a re-certification.
If you can't decipher your op limits give me a call with them in hand and I'll walk you through the process.
972-784-7544

It depends entirely on your operating limitations. They will tell you what is needed. The most recent edition will allow you to place the aircraft back into phase I yourself. Older limitations require a re-certification.
If you can't decipher your op limits give me a call with them in hand and I'll walk you through the process.
972-784-7544
operating limitations? uh oh :-/ Not ringing a bell...

You should have Ops Limits in the plane. Depending on the age of the plane, it will give operation spec and limits. Changes such as, prop manuf. to another prop manuf. should require you to go back into phase 1, most of the time for 5 hours or so. Read up on your paperwork.

TIA
Dennis

If it is just a new prop and the same that was on the A/C, then just an entry of what you did will do. BUT if you CHANGED to a different prop, then you need to read your phase II paperwork.

I had an interesting talk with...

...my local FAA FSDO Airworthiness Inspector yesterday (received my Repairman's Certificate), and the subject of Operating Limits came up. He stated that after the original Phase 1 test period, and after the "certifying" statement is placed in the Logbook, the paper work that (three pages of Operating Limitations in my case) no longer apply and no longer are needed.

I was somewhat confused and we continued the discussion, but the end result is that the Op Limits paperwork state Phase 1 in the title, so that is where it applies.

I realize that different FSDO offices can interpret the regulations differently, but he did make a point. I also showed him where certain items of the OpsLim "could" apply (paragraph 21) forever. He stated that he would check with Oklahoma City and get back to me.

As for the original question, any one can place their aircraft back into Phase 1 Test. You do need to contact the FAA FSDO office and let them know that you changed the prop, have a new w/b, and update the FAA paperwork to indicate the new prop manufacturer and s/n.

As an example of what "changes" constitute a return to Phase 1, my FSDO inspector actually used a new prop as an example. He said most likely a return to Phase 1 would be for a 5 hour duration, followed by a new entry in the aircraft logs stating that the aircraft was found to be controllable through all speed ranges, etc., etc., etc...

Noel,

You should have received two sets of Ops Limits.. one for Phase I and another that applies after the fly-off (for Phase II)... If you did not get that from your inspector, welll.. he screwed up. You will have a set of Ops Limits even after Phase I (that need to be in the airplane).... they're slightly differently worded (a few paragraphs removed) but otherwise should be nearly identical to Ops Limits you got for Phase I.

Oh right! duh. I'm with you now. :) I'll rip through that stuff today and see what I come up with.
I was rabbit trailing in a whole other direction... ;-)
Thanks
Dennis

Read you Airworthiness Certificate;

It states that "Operating Limitations dated xx/xx/xxxx are a part of this certificate." These should, no MUST be in the aircraft at all times for availability to the PIC.
In other words, without these operating limitations, your airworthiness certificate is just a piece of paper.

I'm sorry, but...

...my local FAA FSDO Airworthiness Inspector yesterday (received my Repairman's Certificate), and the subject of Operating Limits came up. He stated that after the original Phase 1 test period, and after the "certifying" statement is placed in the Logbook, the paper work that (three pages of Operating Limitations in my case) no longer apply and no longer are needed.
This is totally wrong. Many FSDO guys don't keep up with current regulations. However, the operating limitations have always been required to operate amateur-built aircraft. It's even stated on the airworthiness certificate. In olden times, operating limitations were issued with certain paragraphs that only applied to phase I. But for over 10 years, phase I and phase II limitations have been intermingled throughout the op limits.

Last edited:
Mel,
found it in the paperwork. I need five hours of test, then re-certify the A/C via log book entry as done originally.
Thanks,

Dennis

This is totally wrong. Many FSDO guys don't keep up with current regulations. However, the operating limitations have always been required to operate amateur-built aircraft. It's even stated on the airworthiness certificate. In olden times, operating limitations were issued with certain paragraphs that only applied to phase I. But for over 10 years, phase I and phase II limitations have been intermingled throughout the op limits.

Mel,
found it in the paperwork. I need five hours of test, then re-certify the A/C via log book entry as done originally.
Thanks,

Dennis

Just make sure it is in the airplane with the Airworthiness Certificate at all times. There is certain "paperwork" that is required to be in the aircraft and immediately available. Of which you should understand every word of... Refresh your knowledge.

Absolutely. Actually, it's always been in the plane, I just didn't find it because it was not labeled. See, we made a very nice binder for all logbooks and MX documents, with a place for everything, and everything in it's place, but this document stuck to something else and was misfiled. It now has it's own tab, and is back where it oughta be. ;-)
Thanks,
Dennis
BTW, nice web site Scott. ;-)

Just make sure it is in the airplane with the Airworthiness Certificate at all times. There is certain "paperwork" that is required to be in the aircraft and immediately available. Of which you should understand every word of... Refresh your knowledge.

Last edited: