jmitchell

Well Known Member
To any helpful DAR out there;

I am more than half way through building an RV8 here in Canada and have had MDRA inspections carried out on the empennage and wings already.

I am planning on moving the project to Arizona where I will have a vacation home and completing the airplane in the USA.

Are there any issues you are aware of regarding this scenario? Would you accept the Canadian MDRA inspections at face value and be able to complete the final inspection when the time comes? (I would register the aircraft in the US).

Thanks kindly for your time.

The Canadian MDRA inspections are not required here in the US. As long as you can show that a "major portion" of the aircraft is amateur-built, you should have no problems getting the aircraft certificated here.

Thanks

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I have an extensive build log that can show I satisfy the 51% rule.

Thanks again!

The only problem see with that is the first time you want to fly it home to Canada, you will be stopped at the border an required to pay the PST/GST or HST on the value of the aircraft. Doesn't matter if it's US-registered, or if you are only temporarily importing it. Because your primary residence is in Canada, CBSA will deem it to be an import.

CBSA

Thanks for the info Rob. I did not think of that. I've already paid 13% GST/HST for all the parts of my kit here in Nova Scotia. It seems scandalous that I could be taxed again for it?

I'll need to look into that more closely.

Thanks again.