seatssss

The other day I was flying my RV6 and started smelling fuel
after landing , turn on electric fuel pump ,fuel was running out top of gascolator drain pull rod, this one has a cable to drain
one with this set up should be checked out as the o ring was bad
lucky no fire this time

frank seats N62HS

Last edited:
I have a RV 6 with a cable drain gascolator. The other day I went to fly on start up I smell a strong gas odor,.Stopped engine , turn on boost pump and gas started running out of the drain shaft
any one with this set should check it before next flight:):)

Danger Gascolator

At the risk of starting up the flame throwers, remove the unnecessary gascolator. RV's don't need them, and they can cause problems from leaks to vapor locks. The low point in the system is the tank fuel drains. Grumman singles have no gascolators for the same reason. Drain a little fuel from the tank drains before flight and any water will be eliminated at the low point in the system.

Filter?

At the risk of starting up the flame throwers, remove the unnecessary gascolator. RV's don't need them, and they can cause problems from leaks to vapor locks. The low point in the system is the tank fuel drains. Grumman singles have no gascolators for the same reason. Drain a little fuel from the tank drains before flight and any water will be eliminated at the low point in the system.

Do you have a filter installed and if so, what system are you using?
I totally agree with you about the gascolator being superfluous for sumping the fuel, but it is the only filtration that I have.

Fuel Filters

Yes, I have other filters in my fuel system. I believe it is ok to use a gascolator as a filter. The problem is that most builders install it for a water trap, and place it low on the firewall in the path of the exiting hot cooling air, and near the exhaust pipes. A high wing, gravity feed Cessna, Cub or like aircraft, needs the gascolator to catch any water. IMHO, the RV simply needs a good filter in the system prior to the firewall. There are many good filters of different sizes at hotrod car suppliers.

Last edited:
You can also buy that race car type filter at ACS:

FLOW EZY FUEL FILTER
The Flow Ezy fuel filter features very fine filtration and is approved for use with Ellison Carburators. This filter has a 25 micron rating and with their strong machined aluminum housings hav a pressure rating of 500 psi. Filter elements are of pleated stainless steel wire cloth or cellulose (paper) with a perforated metal support tube inside. Factory model number 61L-03-25-F3. Recommended by Co-Z Development Corp. Dims: 1.25"dia.x 4.75"L Fitting size 3/8" NPT.
Description Part No. Price Buy
8504-05

Or go directly to the Flow Ezy site: www.flowezyfilters.com/

Replacement filter elements are available (I have one), but it is a metal mesh and can be easily cleaned. The large nut on the end for servicing is exactly the same size as that wrench kit you can make from Van's that you use on your wheel nut.