DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Do we have a Dan Reeves from PA here?

I ask because my 73 year old mom still clips airplane articles out of her local paper and sends them to me <g>

The above Dan was the subject of perhaps the best written newpaper piece on homebuilding I've ever seen. Apparently the reporter even took the time to call Tom Green. A very positive article. My compliments to Dan, and to Jerry Gleason of the Patriot-News in Harrisburg.

Yes, but Dan is busy getting his PP. I have seen his 7A literally in the basement with the engine mounted, nonetheless. Ready for the "big dig" to get it out.

I don't have his e-mail handy, but he is on www.mykitlog.com. Search for Reeves...you can contact him by e-mail there.

Gordon G2

Lancair Super ES N144GP

On purpose!

Wow, thats pretty cool. You always hear jokes about this, but someone actually did it, on purpose. "I want to build an airplane. The only place I have to build it is the basement. But I don't have a way to get it out. So, I'll build it, and when the time comes, I'll just have to dig it out." Thats what I call committment. Looking forward to news of first flight.

Dan, if you're out there send me a PM. Would love to come up from Lancaster to Capital City to meet you and your beautiful plane. I have been working on my empennage in the basement and everybody gives me that weird look of... how are you going to get it out? Thankfully I have a much easier way then you but still... I feel your pain!

Negative coverage

Our local CBS affiliate here in Upstate NY covered the story and when it was over the two talking heads just made fun of the guy. "Hey the basement wall holds up the house, HELLO!" and "why didn't he just build it in the garage and then open up door. I wouldn't want to fly with a guy who is too stupid to know it wont fit up basement stairs". :eek: Unbelievable! and you know I used to like watching that station too. :eek: If you look closely at the photos included in the story it looks like he did a really nice job.;)
I was going to call up the station and tell them I have one just like it in my basement too and its not that unusual but was afraid they'd make fun of me too. :mad:

Last edited:
Re Negative coverage

Yes, nice job and obviously a well thought out plan to get it out into daylight. Can't see what the fuss is about. Don't sweat it Tom, in a few weeks this guy will be grinning from ear to ear flying his brand new RV. Meanwhile the talking heads will still be childish idiots.

Clive Whittfield

Lurker, wannabe 7A builder. Hangar space is 8 miles away. But our condo has plenty of room, 2350 sf on the 15th floor. I've actually considered . . . .

The best I ever saw was a guy about twenty years ago, I think it was in a Vans newsletter, the guy built one in his attic in England. He had to knock the gable end out of the 400 year old building and pullit out with a crane. Well, old buildings are protected by the government there and they nearly put the guy in the cross-bar hotel.