danielhv

Well Known Member
Anybody have this info? I used it on mine, and it worked great. Only problem is that I dont remember all of it, and I didnt describe it on my site. I put a link to his site which isn't available anymore. (I knew I should have bought that CD!!) A builder up at NLR is at this point and botched some of his Z brackets. He's got more on the way so I'd like to email this over to him in the next few days. When I search for Z Brackets, it pulls up every post/thread with the letter Z in it! :eek:

I have the CD... I just can't find it :mad:

I think the way it goes is you put the Z brackets on the spar, drill the outside 2 per the direction and then remove the tank, minus the rear spar. That allows you to match drill the forward side of the Z brackets using the baffle to perfectly align the holes.

There was a lot of good data on that website; I also miss the weight and balance database.

Checkoway's Z-bracket method

I also could kick myself for not either buying Dan's CD or downloading his site. He once made a statement that you could save the fee for the CD by downloading his site. I im'd him the other day about the CD but got no response so I guess he really is out of the CD business.

As for the Z-bracket method, I depended on Brad Oliver's site and Bruce Swayze's site and think I have it figured out. I am about 3/4 through with the fuel tank trial fits and so far so good. There are probably other sites that provide more detail and if there are, I invite others to post them.

Last edited:
Checkoway's Z-Bracket method

I used and logged the method on my site. It worked great! The posts aren't as descriptive or well written like Dan's, but I think you'll get the picture. It's pretty much straight forward and makes a whole lot more sense than Van's method. Look at the left fuel tank posts in the Wings section...

Good Luck!

Checkoway's CD of Improvements to the RV Build

Thanks, Todd. I just looked at your site and it looks like you did a good job of documenting Dan's z-bracket method. I'm real pleased with the results on my left tank, and I plan to have the right tank on the spar for its first trial fit this weekend.

I just stumbled upon this "Checkoway z-bracket method" a few weeks ago although I used to keep up with his RV-7 construction progress every day.

Now I'm wondering what other significant process improvements were on Dan's site that I could use.

Last edited:
Dan's site was a great resource used by many. Much of the ideas presented there were original Dan and much was gleaned from others. That is how we all end up building these things.

Dan's site is gone and that was his decision...I doubt anyone has ever pushed Dan to do anything he has not wanted to do...

Give the guy what he stated he wanted....move on....there were plenty of websites before his and many many more out there since...many good resources for info.

Dan has said he got the method from another builder so as to not take credit. However, he can take credit for the first extremely detailed RV-7 website. Too bad someone pushed him to the limit that he felt he needed to take his site down.

Thanks, Todd. I just looked at your site and it looks like you did a good job of documenting Dan's z-bracket method. I'm real pleased with the results on my left tank, and I plan to have the right tank on the spar for its first trial fit this weekend.

I just stumbled upon this "Checkoway z-bracket method" a few weeks ago although I used to keep up with his RV-7 construction progress every day.

Now I'm wondering what other significant process improvements were on Dan's site that I could use. Can someone tell us some more of Dan's improvements to the 7/8 build process? If we just know what to look for we could search for it among the many different RV builders' sites here. Kinda cumbersome, but hey, we don't have the stinkin' CD!!!

Dan hates for this method to be referred to as the "Checkoway" method since he got the idea from somebody else but that is what most folks call it.

Last edited:
Give the guy what he stated he wanted....move on....there were plenty of websites before his and many many more out there since...many good resources for info.

I was sitting down at the Mayo Clinic the other day waiting for my wife... must've been two hours. No problem. One laptop. One Checkoway CD. It's better than Farmville, I tell ya!