RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to final install the wings. I was organizing the bolts and inspected them, one of the large wing bolts has a ding in the middle of the shank. It is like it was hit with something sharp. It is not very deep but you can feel it as you run your finger over it. I did not do this the bolts have been in the plastic packaging and in a plastic container by themselves on top of that since they arrived with the kit.

My question is can I just take this to the scotch brite wheel and smooth the ding out or should I ask Van's for a new bolt. What about corrosion since the plating will be gone. I am hoping someone will have experience with this.

Cheers

A finger nail can pick up .001" or less, very sensitive. I would not take it to the scotch bright wheel, but if you can manually sand it out easily and the nick is only through the plating, I would not worry about it.
If you put the bolts in and out for fitting, you will scratch off and nick some of the plating anyway.
Use your good judgement.

Same here

I have several wing bolts with the same condition. I plan on replacing mine but I am surprised such a critical bolt came with dingers.

Robert

I have several wing bolts with the same condition. I plan on replacing mine but I am surprised such a critical bolt came with dingers.

Robert

Same here. I bought a new $et and they too had dings. I used the bolts that looked the best. It's surprising to me that these bolts aren't packaged to prevent this.

If you guys are talking about a scratch that just penetrates the cad plating, you are talking about perhaps a .0002" thick layer, or something like that. I don't have the mil spec handy (Gil?).
So, not saying you shouldn't be worried about a critical part like a wing bolt, but chances are it is just superficial.

not just cad plate

If you guys are talking about a scratch that just penetrates the cad plating, you are talking about perhaps a .0002" thick layer, or something like that. I don't have the mil spec handy (Gil?).
So, not saying you shouldn't be worried about a critical part like a wing bolt, but chances are it is just superficial.

This looks like it was hit by a pointed object. Sorry I am away from home so I can't post a picture. It is a pin point with a raised perimiter. Based on what another builder I found was told by Van's, I can polish this down so it does not mar the spar going in. Van's told this guy the bolts are so strong the spar would give bepfore the bolt.