U2drvr

Sponsor
I did my first long (3:00+) cross country after completing flight test. I have about 35 hours total on the airplane and when tying it down, I discovered a piece of my aluminum spinner is missing. There are a few scratches on the cowling intake where it apparently hit while departing. I noticed nothing in flight, no vibration or unusual noise. I have a couple of days before the return flight and I’m looking for opinions about flying it home. My initial inclination is to file/sand it smooth and fly it home so I can replace it. Any other ideas/opinions?
IMG_4495.jpeg
IMG_4495.jpeg

That spinner is damaged and should be removed before operating. It looks like the last screw mounting the spinner to the bulkhead is too far from the flange and probably the other side is the same. A classic case of metal fatigue in one area and possibly the other area.
Steven B

That spinner is damaged and should be removed before operating. It looks like the last screw mounting the spinner to the bulkhead is too far from the flange and probably the other side is the same. A classic case of metal fatigue in one area and possibly the other area.
Steven B
Maybe I need new glasses, but I don’t even see where the last screw and platenut were installed on the flange.…

Take off the cone and fly home. I had to remove a broken Whirl Wind fiberglass cone for the same reason. Worried initially about cooling but no noticeable effect. Removing the spinner bulkhead does screw up cooling.

And every installation I've ever seen, the cone was fastened to the edge of the filler as well as at then end of the cutout.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: