Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I've looked high and low both here and on the forums and can't seem to find the answer.

I'm in the early stages of planning my panel and am using a number of programs (ProgeCAD, Front Panel Designer) to get mylayout right.

Just curious on the spacing of the panel cut out for the D180 from the top of the panel. For those that have installed a D100 or D180, is 1 inch from the top of the panel sufficient for spacing. The flange on the D180 looks roughly about 1/8 of a inch. Just curious if that will cause any issues at all?

I also have the vertical HS34 and AP74 that will be placed on either side of the D180. Again, with the cut-out, is 1/4 inch too little or too wide for the spacing on either side of the D180?

Much thanks,

Don

Last edited:
See:

http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/EFIS%20D100.pdf

and:

hs34_outline_large.gif

Thanks

Thanks Brantel,

I have all of the actual dimensions, just looking at those that have done their panels with the cut out locations, specifically 1 inch from the top of the panels and 1/4 inch spaced apart on either side from the D180 or D 100?

Looks like the bezel on both the AP74 and the HS34, combined with the bezel of the D180 would be at .36 inches. So, 1/4 gap won't work. I'll plan for .45 inches to give me a .09 inch gap on either side.

Will the 1 inch from the top cause any problems?

Thanks

Don

Last edited:
Don,

The D180 is not symmetrical on both sides, study those dimensions carefully. The bezel overhang is different on the two sides.

One needs a minimum of 0.425" from the hole cutout to anything on the top to clear the tray flange. If you have an angle at around the top of your panel, you must leave room for it as well. I have never built an 8 so I don't know how it works behind there but I imagine there is something at the top that needs to be cleared. That and the radius would make me believe that 1" would not be enough.

As for the sides, be mindful of the non-symmetry of the bezel overhand and the fact that you need to clear the flanges of the tray.

Dynon does allow for the flanges on the tray to be cut off if you need to to make your install work. I think there is a note somewhere that dictates how they recommend this be done.

I would want to lay this out in CAD if it were me to ensure I had it covered.

Last edited:
Don,

Don't have a measurement for you, but I would highly recommend you cut the top flange off the D180 tray.

Put your panel in place and trace a line on the forward/inside face on the inside of the flange.

Both corners of the tray must clear this. If you haven't installed the flange yet then cutting your panel is premature.

Don

Don,
I am building the same configuration - this is my basic layout
Panel4_zps885956fe.jpg

The dynon installation manual says you can remove 2 of the flanges from the mounting tray but I intend to trim mine slightly to match the gap - bear in mind that the outer bezel of the Dynon units are wider than the cut out anyway. You can download the mounting instructions.

I am also going to trim away part of the edges of the angle that attaches the panel frame at the top. There is room to do this the limit being the position of the nutplates that attach the main panel. Those go where the screw holes are marked.

My warning panel uses lights and illuminated switches (they match) from EAO series 61 and 31. I am going to scallop the upper Dynon tray flange where those fit and rivet in between where the flange is full width.

Because the dimensions are tight and not symmetrical I found it best to lay it out full size on graph paper - that also allows you to lay out the actual hardware on the drawing as a gross error check

John

G-HOPY RV-6a flying
G-RUVE RV-8 building

Measurement

Don,
The top of my D180 bezel is 1.2 inches from the top center of the panel. This is measured on the aft/pilot side of the panel. The tray is lower of course.

No problems with line of sight in this position.

Don

Thanks

Brian, Don, and John,

Much thanks for the info!

Your setup is pretty close to what I'm hoping for John, less the instruments below the D180. I'll be centering a G496 off the D180, the GTX327 and SL 40 to the left, VP 100 to the right, and possibly the PMA5000EX above the VP100.

Lot's to consider!

Again, thanks for the input guys!

Hppy New Year.

Don