N208ET

Well Known Member
I just started playing with my D180, upgraded from steam, and my cht and egt's are high, sitting on the ground unstarted the cht's are 300 degree's. I am finding the egt's to be high as well. I called dynon about the problem and was informed that I have to send the unit back for repairs, $250 worth. Has anybody seen this on there unit?

Randy
8A

First things first. If you short out the CHT wires, you should get ambient temperature. To do this, take the D25 off which has all the CHT and EGT connectors, and make up a temporary connector that shorts out at least one of the CHT channels and one of the EGT channels.

Both the EGT and CHT should read the same. They read "ambient," but this is ambient inside the unit, so it could be 10-20 degrees higher than outside if the D180 is on for a long time.

You can't short the wires at the CHT connector and be 100% sure, since the wires leading up to this are thermocouple wires and you're still making a thermocouple if you short there.

Tell us what you find and then we can work from there.

I assume if we told you the repair would be $250, that this unit is more than 3 years old? If it was purchased used, are you sure the CHT's are set up for your engine and probe types, and aren't set to Rotax or something?

I'M NOT SURE

I did purchase the unit used and it did come out of a rotax powered plane. However, I changed the settings to a lycoming setup and there is no changing the sensor types on the CHT and EGT under the setup menu, as far as I can see you get what you get when you plug the probes in. I wasn't told about shorting out the probes when I called tech support so I didn't get to try that. However, the unit is on its way back to your folks so I am sure you will be able to come up with something:D

Randy
8A

follow up

A chip was burnt out in the D180 causing the high CHT EGT temps. Nice to have support for your products.

Randy
8A