sailvi767

Well Known Member
On the RV6 I purchased the D10 is equipped with the internal backup battery. It appears this battery is not taking a charge. I can not turn the unit on via the left keypad button per the manual with the aircraft unpowered. I assume this means the battery is bad. Can another battery be ordered and installed locally or by myself of does the entire D10 unit need to be shipped back to Dynon?

George

Yes, you can replace it yourself. But first, you should be able to power up the unit normally with aircraft power, and then via one of the configuration pages, there is a volatage reading for the buss and for the internal battery, which is usually around 16.2 volts, fully charged. That should tell you the health of the battery.

Vic

The battery can easily be replaced by the user and can be ordered from Aircraft Spruce and others. There is a back cover on the unit that needs to be unscrewed, the old battery unplugged and the new battery inserted and plugged in.

The battery is almost as long as the D10A case, so you will probably need to remove the D10A from the aircraft to gain access to the back of the unit and remove / install the battery.

If you have not used the aircraft in awhile, the internal battery can become discharged while maintaining the units internal clock. If you wired up the "external power" power input, try charging up the battery first. It may take up to 16 hours (IIRC) to charge up the battery. If you replace the battery, you also will need to charge the battery once it is installed in the D10A.

Thanks for the advise. The aircraft was not flown much for the previous year so that may have been part of the issue. I did a little research that I probably should have done before posting and it does appear simple to replace the battery. I will do a voltage check before I order a new one.

George