jsharkey

Well Known Member
In order to get wind displayed on the D100 you need to connect it to a GPS - in my case a GPSMAP496. The D100 installation manual says to connect via pin #22 on the serial connector which is also used to interface with a PC.

How have others made this connection? A mating D-sub plug that can be disconnected when you need to attach to a PC seems like an answer?

Is there an easier way?

Just checked the wiring diagrams and it looks like the GPS output already goes to my ICOM A210. Dynon recommend a three way switch to flip GPS output between EFIS and COMM as required, i.e. leave on EFIS for wind vector display and switch to COMM to transfer station frequencies.

Too much to learn with these magic boxes and so much for stick and rudder flying :)

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

Last edited:
Jim,
The D9 that plugs direct into the current port used for updating works great.

You can split a serial transmit line, so you don't need a switch in your case. The switch is if you have a SL-30 AND a GPS feeding the D100, which would be two transmitters on the same line. You have the GPS feeding the A210 and the D100, which is fine, since it's only one transmitter. Just split that wire that goes to the A210 and run it to a D9 to connect to the D100.

Thanks!

Jim,
The D9 that plugs direct into the current port used for updating works great.

You can split a serial transmit line, so you don't need a switch in your case. The switch is if you have a SL-30 AND a GPS feeding the D100, which would be two transmitters on the same line. You have the GPS feeding the A210 and the D100, which is fine, since it's only one transmitter. Just split that wire that goes to the A210 and run it to a D9 to connect to the D100.

Thanks for coming through so quickly once again.

Jim Sharkey

Jim, remember to...

...set your 100 on a compass rose to ensure winds aloft accuracy. I just did this yesterday, since my 100 was almost 15 degrees off and had horrendous winds aloft readings.

The best,

...set your 100 on a compass rose to ensure winds aloft accuracy. I just did this yesterday, since my 100 was almost 15 degrees off and had horrendous winds aloft readings.

The best,

Thanks - it was your post that prompted my interest. I hadn't realized that I could get that capability from my D100/496 combination.

Jim Sharkey